The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2nd verse chord on Pride (in the name of love)
Old 8th February 2007
2nd verse chord on Pride (in the name of love)

That is one good chord!

H-U-G-E

Gives me goose bumps when I hear it and even as I type this.

Did a lot of effort go into that?

I mean, The Edge just skips accross about 4 strings to play it but when it comes in, it's like....... HO-LEE SH!T!

I am sure that was the intention...

As I say, that's one NICE chord, perhaps my favorite U2 recorded moment..

Don't tell me you were off the day it was recorded, or in bed with the flu!

please....
Old 8th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Jules,

I have to go listen to that myself..... stay tuned

KK
Old 9th February 2007
The snare fills into the chorus' are pretty damn great too!
Old 9th February 2007
Smile

that is a wonderful track, and one of my favorite Bono moments, ever.

and Jules is right, that 2nd chord is huge.

GREAT work to all involved.

Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
The snare fills into the chorus' are pretty damn great too!
I love how the song pulls you in the beginning and then becomes less busy (no rhythm guitar in the second verse).
"New Year´s Day" is another mystery to me. that guitar/piano melody sound is infectious. I could just loop the melody and listen to it for days. it´s that good.

anway, don´t take me seriously: I was four when "War" came out. heh
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Jules..best recording site on the net

I hope Kevin elaborates on that too. Its funny because I always thought the same thing on that song. Being a guitar player it seems like a lesson in contrast. The guitar up to that point is so mid heavy it sounds like its boosted true--then he hits that lower note and it just opens up so much depth that wasnt there before that point.
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I agree

The Unforgettable fire is my favourite U2 record.
I have always thought that the guitars on that record sounds fantastic!!
They just sound so...3D, and poetic(!) if possible.

I watched "The making of The Unforgettable Fire" the other day, and it's such a inspirational clip to watch, with Kevin, Eno, and Daniel L working together with the band.
If you havent seen it, see itheh

Kevin, Would you say that the "collage" of guitar sounds happening in the background was a lot of trying out at slane castle, that you keept for the final mixes?

Kind regards
Kenneth
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

A big part of why those chords work so well is that the bass is changing under them, which changes the harmonic function of the notes.

B Major

Chord #1: Notes bottom to top (guitar) -- B F# B D# B E <-- the last B is the open string...same octave as the B on the D string. The notes aren't picked in this order, so use your ears.

Bass goes from B to E under this chord.

Chord #2: Notes bottom to top (guitar) -- A E A C# B E <-- there are no doublings, so this chord is, for lack of a better term, "richer" from a harmonic perspective. The plot thickens! Oh, the elegance of great music!!!

Bass goes from A to F#, with F# being the dominant (V) in the key. You know what that means -- all of a sudden, those notes have a "pull" toward the I chord (B).

---

Try those chords without doing the bass changes -- the drama leaves and the progression just kinda "floats" -- still cool, but no "gravity" or "weight." Savvy arrangement, ensemble playing, great production...
Old 9th February 2007

Kenneth,

The experimentation at Slane was about trying to figure out how to incorporate the sonic architecture that Brian and Danny introduced into Edge's style. In the beginning it was hit or miss, we often loved the sound but I think that Edge needed to make it his own.Once he fully understood all the possibilities ( not long) it was fascinating to watch him. And since he is such a sound maven , he really did embrace it and then apply his signature to it from that day forward.

In terms of how much from Slane or Windmill Lane, it was about 60-40.

When we arrived back at Windmill we still had a lot of vocal tracks to do plus some additional guitar work. At one point we ended up recutting "Pride" as the transitions were just not working.( You can see Larry working on that snare fill over and over in the video). Finding that right "surge" into the chorus's was a tricky balance which we ultimately got.

(Still have not had a chance to check out that chord.... this weekend I promise)

In was heading into August 1984, the band were scheduled to go to Australia in a few weeks to start the tour. The album was not finished, songs were incomplete. Bono considered putting off the record till after the tour. Their manager Paul McGuiness insisted otherwise. So for the last week, it was 24 hours a day. Brian taking this first half of the day with me, Danny the second half. There was not a lot of sleep but we managed to finish it at 7am on the last day.

I slept afterwards.............

Kevin
Old 11th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Killen View Post

In was heading into August 1984, the band were scheduled to go to Australia in a few weeks to start the tour. The album was not finished, songs were incomplete. Bono considered putting off the record till after the tour. Their manager Paul McGuiness insisted otherwise. So for the last week, it was 24 hours a day. Brian taking this first half of the day with me, Danny the second half. There was not a lot of sleep but we managed to finish it at 7am on the last day.

I slept afterwards.............

Kevin
That is just amazing!!
-And the end result: one of the best rock records ever...
Thanks Kevin:-)

KK
Old 12th February 2007

That second verse chord...

I agree with Greg's posting in the sense that there is a harmonic convergence that makes it appear that the chord is bigger than it really is, but added to the fact that larry's drums return to the verse pattern and a general clearing out of the track on the first bar, makes it seem enormous. But its just one chord, beautifully played and orchestrated.

Nothing more unusual than that. Remember, they still had to be able to play it live...

KK
Old 14th February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Killen View Post
.....its just one chord, beautifully played and orchestrated.

Nothing more unusual than that. Remember, they still had to be able to play it live...

KK
Old 14th February 2007
Lives for gear
"August 1984:

OMG, it seems so long ago! That was the year Lombard Sound closed Kevin.

Be well!

Daire Winston

Old 14th February 2007
Lives for gear

Didn't some of the guitars get a few points of varispeed?

ruudman
Old 14th February 2007

Daire,

You are dead right, 1984.....

For those who are curious, Lomabard Sound was the studio where I got my first start.

It reopened a while later as Westland Sound. Still operating today.

Kevin
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search