The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mercey Street Deconstructed
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Mercey Street Deconstructed

Kevin,
There has been another question about THAT song on this forum. But there is SO much to that ONE song.

I have marveled at it for years, pondering, wondering. Now, FINALLY , i can ask someone that had something to do with the production of that song a question.....so THANKS!

What are the melodic 'clay pot' like sounds that sequence throughout the whole song?

I know there is a triangle in there too.

Also, what is the solo instrument? Its got this nice triplet thing happening on the beginning of each note.

Any input on this song is eternally greatful!

Dennis
Old 8th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Dennis,

To the best of my knowledge they were recorded in Brazil when Peter was on a field trip prior to the record ever starting. They were intended for another song but got slowed down for this song, hence their unusual tone. But I think they were some form of Udu drum, which the player can alter the tonality by cupping his hand over a hole on the pot.

The solo instrument is the prophet 5 with delays and effects.

The low octave voice was recorded early one morning to get that rich resonance on PG's voice. We climbed out of bed, met at the studio around 8am, never spoke a work until it was done.

KK
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Killen View Post
Dennis,

To the best of my knowledge they were recorded in Brazil when Peter was on a field trip prior to the record ever starting. They were intended for another song but got slowed down for this song, hence their unusual tone. But I think they were some form of Udu drum, which the player can alter the tonality by cupping his hand over a hole on the pot.

The solo instrument is the prophet 5 with delays and effects.

The low octave voice was recorded early one morning to get that rich resonance on PG's voice. We climbed out of bed, met at the studio around 8am, never spoke a work until it was done.

KK
Kevin,

Thanks for responding to this. It really does mean a lot to get a glimpse into one of the records that was literally life changing for me.

Thanks again for taking time out and responding to all our geeky engineering and musical questions.

Its appreciated more than you will ever know,

Dennis (in Memphis)
DCMIX

As for the udu making that noise! WOW, i've had one for years and all it does is go uuuuump! I must not be smacking in that special Peter G way :-)
Old 8th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Dennis,

try slowing it down about 10% after you recorded it and check it out. You might be surprised how cool it sounds..

Kev
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search