The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
D Command
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Kevin could you talk about useing the D-Command?
Attached Thumbnails
D Command-picture-15.png  
Old 6th February 2007
Yes, how do you like it?
Old 6th February 2007
And while you're answering a question form the Veltz Family photos, I noticed that you didn't have your ProAcs set up but were using the studio's ADAMs. Did you bring in the ProAcs for final mixes, or stay on the ADAMs?

Thanks again for being here!

When I started working at Sevonay, I did not enjoy the monitors, so I brought my ProAc's. However , this is a private studio and its not designed for easy access for my roadcases. After many discussions and listening tests, is settled on the ADAM's. I have found a nice comprimise with them and the projects mixed there translate well both to Mastering and the outside world.

My ProAc's still get plenty of use, believe me.

KK
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah... in the pic Kevin has that squinting at the screen look, with keyboard under hand... have you actually made the transition to the D command or still mousing primarily?

I'm getting pretty darn comfy on the D control, enough so to want to buy a D command for the house....

sucks that the keyboard isn't more conveniently located.

???

That squinty look is more due to my advancing years and diminshing eyesight, just wait until it happens to ye'all.
I am comfortable without the mouse but some habits are hard to break

KK
Old 6th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Jules,

I have gotten to really like it. Of corse its like comparing apples and oranges but once I became comfortable with it, I have found it to be a very useful tool. Certainly the benefits of instant and total recall outweigh the non descript nature of its sonic character. Then again I have always thought that character should come from the instrument itself and less so, the console.

But rather than be a purist, I have embraced the new frontier and have discovered a new way to work. In the old paradigm, I would mix a track until it was completed, sometimes sitting around waiting for the artist to show up or label person to respond to the mix. With the D-Command, I take the mix as far as I want, then just start on the next song. if the artists shows up, its a simple click to recall the previous song.

It keeps the process fresh and in some ways enhances my focus.

Kevin
Old 6th February 2007
Gear Maniac

So do you use hardware outboard or only plug ins ?
Summing box or not ?

Thanks Kevin

(KEVEN HAS already SAID - once in the box - only plug ins - no summing) heh
Old 6th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks. So how do you intergrate all your outboard gear when mixing at Randy's place or any ICON based setup?

(I don't think Kevin uses analog hardware when mixing ITB - he has said so in other threads in this Q&A forum. For him it seems ITB means ITB - no analog bells and whistles - simply plug ins all the way - Jules)
Old 8th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Go Jules GO

KK
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search