The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What are your favourite albums?
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

What are your favourite albums?

Hi Kevin,

I can't believe it's only been a few days since you payed us the honour of doing this Q+A here and I can honestly say that it's a total pleasure and great learning experience!

My one question is: What are your favorite albums and what kinds of music do you enjoy listening to outside of your work?

Thanks
Old 5th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Doorknocker,

Do you mean "What are my favorite records that I have worked on?"

In terms of listening to my own work, I think I am not unique in this regard, once the record has been mastered and approved, I will wait a long time before I listen to it again.

I need to get away from it because at that moment I am hearing only the flaws ( mostly in my own work !)

In terms of my own pleasue, I try to keep up with stuff, although I find i am more drawn by some of the old classics, (Zepp. Beatles, Van the man)

But in current rotation James Blunt, Imogen Heap, any Bjork and BecK album, the new Tori Amos collection, The Blue Nile.

KK
Old 5th February 2007
TER
Gear Maniac

That's funny... this morning I was telling my wife that you have worked with everyone I would like to work with except David Sylvian and The Blue Nile. Funny. Hats is a terrific record...

Paul Buchanan appears on the latest Michael Brook album, as well.

-tom
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Kevin,

thanks for your answer. Speaking of classics, I was listening to the Live365 show yesterday and was totally blown away by Joan Osbourne's version of Jimi's 'Bold as Love' which I didn't know about. Often I have trouble hearing Hendrix covers because the original versions are so distinctive but Joan's version is incredible! It struck me how neither the performance nor the mix went for a 'retro' feel and I guess that's why it works so great.
Old 5th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Doorknocker,

That Joan Osborne record came out about 3 years ago. Brilliantly produced by John Leventhal and Rick dePofi, it is an album really worth purchasing. She is a very overlooked artist.

kevin
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search