The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lindsey Buckingham...
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Maniac

Lindsey Buckingham...

Kevin

Just wondering if you'd care to share any thoughts on working with Lindsey Buckingham. In addition to being an outstanding songwriter and producer, I've always thought he was one of the most underrated guitarists in popular music.

Warm Regards,

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Nut

Thumbs up lindsey buckingham/out of the craddle

Hello Kevin,greetings from sunny Mexico and thanks for sharing your great knowledge.
Out of the craddle is one of my favorite albums and I was wondering if you could describe how it was recorded,your involvement in it and in general dealing with the talented Mr.Buckingham.(I understand it was mostly recorded at his home)

Thanks and good luck!
cheers,
salvador velarde,
soma estudios,slp,mexico
www.somaestudios.com
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Addict

Out of the Cradle

Can you talk a little about Lindsey Buckingham, how the two of you worked together, any obsessive tendencies, you know, the usual. That album sound amazing, by the way.
Old 5th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Mark, Sofa and Kingugly,

Lindsey is one of those rare gems, so talented , musical , driven and depending on who you talk too,obsessive !

I got brought in to mostly mix, Warners were very keen to get the album completed and the powers that be felt that a little nudge was needed. From my perspective, genius comes when the mood strikes and sometimes you have to wait.

The majority of the album was recorded at his home studio with Richard Dashut sharing the production and engineering(?) duties. So I cannot really speak to their setup as I never really saw it.

I choose Ocean Way studio 2 (Neve 8038) to mix and off we went. If my memory serves me correctly, it was recorded on a Sony 3348. The mixes tended to evolve over a number of days and Lindsey could seize on an idea and almost rewrite the whole track there and then. It was a fascinating dynamic, frought with ro*******s and incredible genius. His ability to conjur up amazing guitar lines was scary.... poof and there it was.

He did like to employ a lot of varispeed while recording , to achieve a particular tone and often his guitar was direct. One thing that occured a number of times was a ground buzz on his guitar track. Lindsey would be so anxious to get the part recorded that he would not want to lean over and flip the ground lift on the DI box, annoying yes but then again , who could argue with the end result!

At the end of the day, both Chris Lord Algae and I mixed the record with the mixes split between us. I cannot remember who came first.

I really enjoyed the experience .

kevin

KK
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

WOW...thanks for sharing Kev!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search