The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
White Limousine mixes
Old 1st February 2007
Lives for gear

White Limousine mixes

Hi Kevin,

I have a couple of questions for you regarding some of your work with Duncan Sheik (Gerry Leonard rocks too!).

First, "Hymn" from White Limo is one of my all-time favorite mixes. How did you go about mixing the swelling background vocal harmonies during the verses?

Second, the mix for "On A High" has a lot of saturation and grit which is most noticable in the VOX and drums during the verses. How did you go about acheiving that effect and what compressors did you use?

Thanks!
Old 2nd February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Thanks, obviously I am biased and think its a great album, one that has been overlooked by too many people. And Gerry is a genius on guitar...

That swelling effect was achieved during the tracking of the vocals, mostly by Duncan being his own volume controller and layering the parts. I do not remember exaggerating that element in the mix. Plus the way in which it hits the vocal reverb just gives it a lovely plume affect..... glad you like it!

With respect to "On A High" from the Daylight album, the vocal effect was simply a tight delay feeding a reverb and some width enhancement. Part of the character you describe is just inherent in his voice at that range and we may have enhanced in some way. As for the drums I seem to remember putting the drums thru some amps to make it more gritty sounding.

The compression used on the vocal during mixing was the Manley VU two channel compressor / limiter. On the overall buss i used a combination of the Millenia NSEQ 2 and Neve 33609 Compressor. That album was mixed on a Neve 8078 at Cello studios in Los Angeles whilst White Limousine was mixed in the box at Sevonay Sound in NYC.

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Killen; 2nd February 2007 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: grammer
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Killen View Post
White Limousine was mixed in the box at Sevonay Sound in NYC.

Kevin
White Limousine was mixed in the box???? WOW! What type of analog outboard was used (if any)? And what type of plug-ins for eq / compression, etc...

Thanks,
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search