The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Marotta/Levin "drumstick bass " on Big Time
Old 1st February 2007
Gear Head

Marotta/Levin "drumstick bass " on Big Time

Hi Kevin!!!
First thanks for sharing your knowlege here.
My question is if you were involved in the development of the drumstick bass part in Big time (that turn into Levin´s trademark technique).
Could you bring us the details?
Cheers from Argentina
Old 2nd February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Guglielmino,

Tony and Jerry had tried it during an overdub on Big Time but it was a little difficult to control. Peter then pulled out a cassette of that performance and wanted Dan and I to try finding a numer of bars to loop in.

So I found a section, sampled it into a Emulator keyboard and laid it in. At a later point Tony had the actual finger sticks developed so that he could use them onstage.

Kevin

No idea where you can get them... sorry
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Killen View Post
At a later point Tony had the actual finger sticks developed so that he could use them onstage.
Kevin, first off, THANK YOU for taking the time to do this--it's much appreciated. you've been at the helm of a number of my favorite albums ("So" being one of them), so I'm honored that you would take the time to join us.

I saw Tony (with Peter) on tour for the "Up" album a few years back and wondered what those were. I've dabbled in bass (i'm a drummer and guitarist primarily) over the years and have always experimented with playing guitar and bass with a pair of sticks (even killed a pickup doing it!).

What I want to know is if these finger sticks are custom made, and do you have any idea where I can get a set?

thanks again,
wade
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search