The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Surround... do you care?
Old 1st March 2003
There is only one

im kinda up in the air right now... i am selling my car so all i have left to drive [besides my wifes suv] is my toyota truck... and im seriously contemplating running seperates up front [already installed] and midbass drivers in the rear, iow losing the rear surround. im putting a 10" sub in the back compartment for the jack/storage in a fiberglassed enclosure. i do have a double din slot for the headunit so i could easily put a LCD in there but no double din units come with a DVD player... but i can get the single DIN flip out screen and a single DIN dvd player from ALPINE which would take up both spaces... hmm, shoud i go surround? im thinking of the ALPINE digital time alignment piece as well, its makes everything sound so freaking tight in the truck i heard that alpine did.\

ahhh.. planning a car audio system. probably more fun than designing any other system. its where i listen to ALL my music.
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

I have been playing around with surround for a little while now. I have been recording classical sessions in surround for about a couple of years, though none of these mixes have been used for releases.

I also have been recording live sound for DVD. This has been mostly jazz. I love that "in the room" experience particularly with concert recordings for DVD. Like most of you here I am not convinced that for rock records it really is the thing, but I could see possibilities for certain releases. With movies I think it has made such a difference to the whole cinema experience.

Next month I have a session recording a comedian for a DVD release. He has a band so I am looking forward to doing this in surround. It is a pity that the format wars are still on, with the exception of DVD video it is difficult to know how to deliver product to the public. For my own demo's I have burnt the audio as a AC3 file to a DVD video and just added a couple of slides to picture.

Regards

Roland
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search