The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bass approach
Old 4th July 2020
Gear Head

Bass approach

Hi Jens

Can you please describe your approach in bass when you mix ?

Thanks a lot
Old 6th July 2020
Yeah that would be great, bass is kind of a murky area of metal production so would love to hear Jen's take on it.

I'd kindly ask Jen to expand a bit on the subject if possible and cover the recording aspects as well.
Old 6th July 2020
Here for the gear

I would also love to hear about this. Specifically, I would like to hear some thoughts on making the kick, bottom of the rhythm guitars and the bass guitar mesh together. This is my biggest weak spot.
Old 7th July 2020
Well, as loud and proud as I dare. :-)

It's impossible to get a good bass sound out of something that's sub-par on tape. Re-amping will help, but not as much as for guitars. The difference between a poor ESP bass with bad strings and a great Sadowsky with fresh strings is enormous. I change bass strings for every song, or even more often. As soon as it starts sounding dead.

Mixing wise, I often blend a fairly clean amp with sansamp or some other distortion, and a high-passed (around 5k) and limited Di for re-inject string sound into the mix. I tend to use different compressors in series, some in parallel. I might end up with some sort of multiband compression, too. Sometimes I feed the bass to the drum bus, and to the parallel drum compressor. My best tip is to not solo listen to the bass unless you absolutely have to. Also, do different sounds for whenever the bass is playing without rhythm guitars.
Old 7th July 2020
Gear Head

Great answer !!! Thank you !!!
Old 8th July 2020
Persuading a band that you need a fresh set of bass strings per song can sometimes be difficult!
Old 8th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Persuading a band that you need a fresh set of bass strings per song can sometimes be difficult!
Have the art of boiling the strings disappeared???

I remember recording a album and had to make a visit to one of the producers home to boil my strings in his kitchen. Meanwhile his girlfriend sitting and waiting for the romantic dinner to continue.
I hope they could use the pot again after seeing bits of skin circling around in that.
Old 9th July 2020
Hal
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Bogren View Post
Well, as loud and proud as I dare. :-)

It's impossible to get a good bass sound out of something that's sub-par on tape. Re-amping will help, but not as much as for guitars. The difference between a poor ESP bass with bad strings and a great Sadowsky with fresh strings is enormous. I change bass strings for every song, or even more often. As soon as it starts sounding dead.

Mixing wise, I often blend a fairly clean amp with sansamp or some other distortion, and a high-passed (around 5k) and limited Di for re-inject string sound into the mix. I tend to use different compressors in series, some in parallel. I might end up with some sort of multiband compression, too. Sometimes I feed the bass to the drum bus, and to the parallel drum compressor. My best tip is to not solo listen to the bass unless you absolutely have to. Also, do different sounds for whenever the bass is playing without rhythm guitars.
Great!
Do You Cut some Bass from sansamp (hardware or plugin?) And some high from DI?

Thank you
Old 20th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Great!
Do You Cut some Bass from sansamp (hardware or plugin?) And some high from DI?

Thank you
It depends, no rules. On Di, sometimes I use only the sub info and/or the very high frequencies (5k+) and blend that into my amp signal. That way, I re-vitalize the bass sound with solid low end, and nice string action in the highs.

If you blend stuff like this, make sure it's in phase. I tend to use the Auto-Align plugin from Sound Radix.
Old 22nd July 2020
Hal
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Bogren View Post
It depends, no rules. On Di, sometimes I use only the sub info and/or the very high frequencies (5k+) and blend that into my amp signal. That way, I re-vitalize the bass sound with solid low end, and nice string action in the highs.

If you blend stuff like this, make sure it's in phase. I tend to use the Auto-Align plugin from Sound Radix.
Thanxxx!
📝 Reply