The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum Tracking
Old 1st July 2020
Here for the gear

Drum Tracking

Hello Jens, greetings from Mexico.

I would like to know your approach for tracking drums

- What do you want to achieve with the close mics (what do you want to get from recording and what can be added with samples in the mix)

-Whats your favorite stereo techniques for OH and Room mics?, do you align the overheads to the snare if you are using AB technique?, how do you choose the height and the distance of the OH/Room mics (how do you deal with phase issues)

-Whats your goal with room mics? (for example smack with compression the mono room mic)

-Favorite microphones/preamps for each part of the kit.

- Do you like to record using eq/compression?

Thank you
Old 5th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethyr View Post
What do you want to achieve with the close mics (what do you want to get from recording and what can be added with samples in the mix)
Cheers! In a perfect scenario, I want everything from the close mics. The use of triggers is never an end to itself for me. So it all depends on the recording, really!

Quote:
Whats your favorite stereo techniques for OH and Room mics?, do you align the overheads to the snare if you are using AB technique?, how do you choose the height and the distance of the OH/Room mics (how do you deal with phase issues)
I've been trying different things over the years. I'm still changing my approach depending on the project and the amount of cymbals.

I don't like X/Y OH's, it's getting too narrow for me. But everything from ORTF to a wide AB will do it, and sometimes I will use 3 OH mics or 2 different pairs. If I use 2 pairs, usually 1 of them will make it through the final mix. Same with the room: I usually record 1 Blumlein fairly close to the kit (3 meters, depending on the room), 1 mono mic, and one wider AB with omni's.
It also happens that I record a "hallway" microphone. My mic count on drums is usually pretty big, but like I said: not everything would make it on to the mix.

Regarding phase aligning, I never time align the OH to the snare. I do, however, time align L/R against each other if needed based on the snare, and I make sure I find a solid phase relationship against snare/toms/kick (in that priority order) around the natural time difference. Same with rooms.

Quote:
Whats your goal with room mics? (for example smack with compression the mono room mic)
The goal is to get a bigger drum sound and smooth out the sense of direct micing a bit. On some productions, I use them a lot, on others rarely at all.

Quote:
Favorite microphones/preamps for each part of the kit.
Oh man. I use what's available.

I dig the 545 unidyne on snare top, along with Josephson E22. Bottom would typically be an SM58. Usually, no tube pre's on direct mics. Neve pre's are amazing, so are vintage API's.

For toms, I would probably go with 421's or CAD M179. OH's would rock Englund's or SM81's since I have many of them. Best OH I recorded was C12's though, into V76's. Kick would normally be B52 or E602, subkick and U47 fet. Rooms are usually some ribbons, and my old 414 EB. Usually with tube pre's.

Quote:
Do you like to record using eq/compression?
Yes, I print to tape through recording chains. I would still use mix comp/EQ or whatever I need, but I never "save" processing to mix. I might go easy sometimes, but in general, I'm a heavy "committer".
Old 6th July 2020
Gear Head
What record were the C12 overheads on?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thank you Jens
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonband View Post
What record were the C12 overheads on?
The Panic Broadcast by Soilwork, and Tragic Idol by Paradise Lost.
The best recorded OH's by me, not necessarily the best sounding ones. :-)

Codex Omega by Septic Flesh was also quite successful in that regard, one of the first times I used Englunds.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear