The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IR recording
Old 30th June 2020
Gear Head

IR recording

Hi Jens, I love your work, it's great to have you here.

I got your cab IR's and they are excellent. Can you describe the way that they were recorded ? Is there any eq ?
Finally do you use any processing on the DI'd signal or after the recording when you reamp ?

Thanks in Advance
Old 3rd July 2020
Cheers man! Glad you’re digging ‘em.

I’ve never did the IR thing before, but some people have been asking about it for a long time. So I decided to give it a go!

The thing is, I feel that EQ’ing a heavy rhythm guitar is hard as it is if the original is not close to what you want. If it’s a cab impulse response, it’s even harder. Kind of like working on a sound that lacks resolution.
I noticed that most or many 3rd party IR’s on the market were single mic setups of different positions and cabs. So I decided to try something different, where I would create a sound that works in a particular mix: one or several mics or even cabs blended to my taste, and both tracking and mix processed.

I did a bunch of “new” sounds, and I also went back to old productions and did the best I can re-creating those sounds (thank you, Dynamount!) to be able to capture an IR.

This was some weeks of painstaking work. :-) I do believe that I developed my own guitar recording skills during this period more than I have in years, though, so it was worth it.
Old 3rd July 2020
Lives for gear

As a bit of a followup - did you do anything in regards to address the power amp's EQ curve? I know some IR makers are doing things such as using clean power amps or match EQ to remove any power amp coloration, and some people don't see it as much of an issue.

Likewise, the impedance load on the amplifier can affect its behaviour quite a lot (which in turn will affect the impulses being made/how they'll sound in use). Was this something you took into account?
Old 6th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated View Post
As a bit of a followup - did you do anything in regards to address the power amp's EQ curve? I know some IR makers are doing things such as using clean power amps or match EQ to remove any power amp coloration, and some people don't see it as much of an issue.
I did try a whole bunch of different power amps when doing the IR's, including guitar tube amp power sections. However, since this is emulated inside the actual amp plugin that you would put before the IR loader, it didn't make much sense. I don't think any of those IR's made it through beta testing.

The best success I had in recreating an actual setup and sound was using my Amphion 700 amps. They are super detailed and rich class D amps. More than half of the end product IR's were shot using that amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated View Post
Likewise, the impedance load on the amplifier can affect its behaviour quite a lot (which in turn will affect the impulses being made/how they'll sound in use). Was this something you took into account?
No, this is again on the amp plugin side and nothing I can do while sampling the IR. I can, however, make sure that the impedance match is correct while sending my sweep or spike through my DA into the power amp. I've read that people are using re-amp boxes, which is (unless I'm completely mistaken) wrong. That Hi-Z output would be a poor impedance match for most line level power amps. Especially if it's transformer balanced, the risk of losing highs (along with distortion) is imminent. This is Gearslutz, so I'm sure someone with better electronic knowledge will correct me. :-)

I would, however, not feed a re-amp box output into a line level input. That output is designed for high impedance guitar inputs. Going straight from the DA into the (in my case) Amphion 700 will render a better result.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear