The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jens Bogren - Guitar tracking questions
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Mixing guitars and bass with extended range

Hey Jens, what's your approach to mixing downtuned guitars and bass? Thanks!
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Jens Bogren - Guitar tracking questions

Hi Jens,

Huge fan of your work and your IRs are the only ones that do not sound phasey/ smeared, absolutely stellar.

I'd like to ask you

a) What are in your experience the best DI box/ preamp & reamp box for tracking
metal rhythm guitars ?

b) How do you deal with the boomy guitar resonance around B or so while
tracking (so before any processing) ?

c) How far from the final product is the raw micked up guitar sound ? Have you
ever found that just a touch of eq is all that is needed ?

Thank you in advance,
Than
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Low-Cut on Guitars

Hi Jens!

-What is your philosophy on low cutting distorted Metal/Rock rhythm guitars (in relationship to the tuning of the guitars)?

-Would you sacrifice clarity for "vibe"?

-How far up would you go with you low cut filters und which Slope (dB/oct) do you prefer.
I most of the time end at about 100Hz (24db/oct) because i like clarity but I'm
not sure if thats always the right path to follow.

-How do you manage the interaction between bass and guitars? In other words,
what do you want to hear from each of them?

-Do you ever monitor in mono during this decisions?

Thanks,
Andi
Old 1 day ago
Cheers man! Glad you dig the IR's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarawd View Post
What are in your experience the best DI box/ preamp & reamp box for tracking metal rhythm guitars ?
Well, I haven't tried everything on the market, but I'm happy with a Radial JDI with Jensen transformer for my Di duties, and I'm using the active X-amp from the same company for re-amping. I choose something clean for my Di box preamp, like an Amek CIB. I always choose my best AD (usually Forsell) for this too, since a Di might be heavily distorted when reamped, and thus revealing a poor s/n ratio.

Quote:
How do you deal with the boomy guitar resonance around B or so while tracking (so before any processing) ?
When I set the sound, I make sure it can handle the lowest chugging that might take place on the album. It's quite irritating if you have a sound set, and then reach a part where something is distorting in an unpleasant way. But I don't do anything dynamically. I use my best possible mic positioning and blend, and then a touch of EQ, and perhaps some other gear for transformer sound. I never compress distorted rhythm guitars, at least not on the way in. If it's rock/punk oriented, I might run it through an LA3 ever so slightly.
And for the mic positioning, I can definitely recommend trying a product for remote controlled mic position. I use Dynamount myself since the moment they hit the market.

Quote:
How far from the final product is the raw micked up guitar sound ? Have you ever found that just a touch of eq is all that is needed ?
I tend to think it's pretty close to the final sound when I do it. However, it's not until the rest of the mix comes into place that you can really tell. And at that point, I would do whatever I need to do EQ wise, or try to re-amp if necessary.

50% of the time I would stick to the original sound though (usually with some EQ mod), even if I favour the frequency response I'm getting from a slightly modified sound through re-amping. There is always something lost when the Di has to go through impedance shifts and AD/DA conversions, compared to plugging the guitar straight into the amp. In fact, back in the day I would avoid using a Di for that reason: it degrades the signal a bit. These days I'm a bit more practical. The ability of having a tuner connected (I put it on a feed from the DAW to avoid parallel connections before AD), the visual aid a Di brings, and the safety backup in being able to reamp outweighs the drawbacks.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear