The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tips for mixing doom-metal (Draconian style)
Old 27th June 2020
Here for the gear

Tips for mixing doom-metal (Draconian style)

Hi, Jens! For years I've been listening to your mixes in different genres and tried to understand how you achieve these results: clarity yet heavy. The most astonishing mixes for me are those you did for Draconian (and Doom:VS, I believe).
How to get those polished guitar tones (yes, I have the IR pack), bombastic drums, haunting ambient clean guitar parts and not to drown all of this in tons of reverb? And how to get vocals (especially female) to cut throuh the mix?

Any tips or advices are more than welcomed!
Thanx in advance!
Old 5th July 2020
Thanks man!

Well, mixing is very difficult. It's that simple and hard to describe it. Years of practicing and a decent listening environment. Specific gear is less important. One needs to teach the brain how to mix and react, and that comes from practice. Knowing the techniques is not enough.

A few "key" tricks that I use are distortion for clarity and somewhat for dynamic control, and more delays than reverbs in general. I also automate like a madman. I'm happy with my Amphion/NS10 combo that I'm using, but the room and placement and treatment is more important.

I did some "live mixing" on an Opeth song and one by Between The Buried And Me for "Nail The Mix", check it out if you wanna see some approaches. They are both almost 10 hour streams, so get popcorn. :-)
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear