The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In your opinion, what are some of the worst myths about music production?
Old 17th June 2017
Lives for gear

Smile In your opinion, what are some of the worst myths about music production?

Hey Jacquire,

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Would love to get your take on what you believe to be the worst, most pervasive myths/misconceptions about mixing & music production in general.

There's a lot of nonsense floating around online, and I always love seeing this hearsay put in perspective.

I've always been amazed at how contrary some of the best engineers' methods are to the gospel that is preached online as it relates to gain staging, drum sampling, room acoustics, EQ/compression techniques, conversion, etc.

I'd love to get your perspective on this. Thanks again!

Last edited by tkaitkai; 18th June 2017 at 10:43 PM..
Old 18th June 2017
special guest

I think there are so many ways to make a great recording, and for myself I've just found a path and point of view that works... I don't know that I can say what is not valid since there are so many paths to make something sound compelling.. The gear is only a conduit for performance and creative source material.. I think the one thing I could say is that in general there is not enough opportunity taken to have real musical interaction in the studio and too much emphases is placed on the power of the computer and the ability to control and manufacture an outcome.. Certainly the tools provide an ability to present something in a fresh way and record making is a craft of manipulation and slight of hand but the truth of the song or performance and capture of energy has to be paramount...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search