The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Time / Transient Align Drums?
Old 9th June 2017
Time / Transient Align Drums?

Hey Jacquire,
Thanks for doing this!

Aside from flipping phase on each drum mic to find the best sound, do you ever shift drum tracks on the timeline to emphasize the transients ie. aligning overheads to the snare, kick to overheads, snare bottom to snare top, kick in to kick out etc?

Thanks!
- Ted
Old 12th June 2017
special guest

I never do that because it has other phase shift problems that don't sound "normal" to my ear... I think you have to either get those things better at tracking, turn off problem tracks, or use samples instead...
Old 12th June 2017
Perfect.

I've read that some other top mixers have done this. I tried it myself and although it made the original snare very focused and punchy, it was often in danger of ripping my face off... The transient punch was just too intense with every drum track stacking up in volume.

I like your plan of recording it better, or if that's not an option, using samples.

Thanks for the insight into your process.

Btw, I've admired your work going back to the early 2000's with some of the Jars of Clay stuff you've worked on and the Jill Phillips record you mixed. I was too young to even know what a mixer was at that point but the sounds of those records had a profound influence on me!

Thank you!

- Ted
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search