The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pannings on a mix
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Nut

Pannings on a mix

Hi jaquire,
I'm a huge fan of your work.
I've read an interview that you said you always pan all the microphones of the same source to the same pan position.because you prefer to feel the sound coming from one discrete spot.
Based on that, when you hard pan one instrument do you use delays on the opposite spot to create space and to envolve this instrument on the sound stage?
Do you use lcr panning, or do you place guitars sometimes between lcr placement?
I'm always divided on the placement... when a song start with one mono instrument and vocals. On a case like this, like a vocal and acoustic guitar, do you pan the guitar... do you try to make it stereo?, or do you assume both at Center?
Assuming that the track will become bigger with drums, electric guitars and keyboards.
Thanks!
Joao
Old 14th June 2017
special guest

At my core I'm a LCR fan... It's not always the best thing for all elements but I like to make most things work that way... I do often use delays and sometimes reverbs to give each element a stereo presence... In the case of the Acoustic & Vocal, yes both C and then things develop... You have to have things that keep the energy balanced in the stereo field of a mix... It seems like you are on the right path, especially if you and your artist like it
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search