The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eureka moments
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Head

Eureka moments

Hi Jaquire

Goes without saying that I'm a huge fan so I'll spare the homage...

The day that I realised fully how saturation could be used as a dynamics tool to shape transients was a real eureka moment for me.

Would you mind sharing a few similar eureka moments (hopefully that some may not have yet realised) that you feel have made a big impact on the quality of your mixes and/or workflow; and provide explanation if necessary.

Thanks

Alex
Old 8th June 2017
Gear interested

The "Aha" Moments In Your Career

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions Jacquire.

Being a fan of your work, and me being an aspiring engineer myself, my question is:

Can you describe some in-session discoveries that immediately changed and influenced your future recordings and mixings? Any "Aha" moments while working that have changed the way you do your craft for the better?

Thank you again.
Old 9th June 2017
special guest

The sound of a recording playing back in correct polarity... A famous engineer once commented to me on the effect of the polarity switch and its associated sound... that got me thinking... Before, even though I considered that polarity matching on multiple micing schemes was important, I didn't consider the difference in the sound of polarity and then it's cumulative result with different instruments... something that has meant ton to mixing properly... I'm always going on about it..

My brain is not coming up with much for this question... sorry to fall short here..

Others that come to mind are really understanding the power and use of parallel processing... Having a good mixing template to get a song laid out in to get to the creative connection in mixing faster... Not working crazy long hours in the studio makes for better results... not over fixing tracks while in the process of building a master up and waiting a a few uneasy moments until it's done and see if they are really a problem
Old 9th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquireking View Post
The sound of a recording playing back in correct polarity... A famous engineer once commented to me on the effect of the polarity switch and its associated sound... that got me thinking... Before, even though I considered that polarity matching on multiple micing schemes was important, I didn't consider the difference in the sound of polarity and then it's cumulative result with different instruments... something that has meant ton to mixing properly... I'm always going on about it..
Can you tell us a bit more about that concept and how you go for that, I get that you go for the sound going out of the speaker instead of the speakr "sucking" the air. But how did you discover a full mix that as a good polarity instead of a mixed up polarity. I think it can be something I struggle with now that you talk about it.
Old 11th June 2017
Gear Head

Great response. Thanks Jaquire!
Old 12th June 2017
special guest

I'm not sure how I can really explain it more here... Please just spend some time experimenting and listening... It is a listening skill learned over time and you have to play with the elements of your recording to familiarize your ears
Old 13th June 2017
special guest

It so many small things and I think I've gotten more out of mistakes and happy accidents that I've learned from & then there is trying o imagine how get a sound before trying to get it to happen...
Old 13th June 2017
special guest

Always be willing to experiment and realize there are many paths to good record making
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

I get it! Thank you very much.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search