The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preparing for a mix session
Old 6th June 2017
Here for the gear

Preparing for a mix session

Hey Jacquire, thanks for doing this Q&A

my question is: In my experience I have seen engineers listen to a track for a while before they get started, and some who like to jump right into a mix as quickly as possible. I feel for mixing you need to be in the right mindset, do you have any tips for mentally preparing yourself before a mix session?

Thanks
Old 9th June 2017
special guest

I like to do a modest amount of listening to the whole multitrack and rough before starting but I'll quickly dive in and want to get to building with the parts as soon as I can to find the thread of energy that I can attach to. You have to have a patient and open minded approach. If it's been a minute since I mixed or if I've been working in other rooms I want to spend a minute listening to some of my other work to get comfortable again in front of my speakers. I only reference the rough for attitude and check balances to make sure I'm not overplaying or underselling anything that is part of the track based on how the creators were listening. I always want the main elements to have a character that sets them apart in the whole but is complimentary for the total. It's a black art and I just at the end of the day do what feels good to me and most of the time it works well and then there are times that you make a great mix and it's just not the thing that people ultimately want and they move on with another mix and mixer... can't worry about that stuff
Old 9th June 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquireking View Post
I like to do a modest amount of listening to the whole multitrack and rough before starting but I'll quickly dive in and want to get to building with the parts as soon as I can to find the thread of energy that I can attach to. You have to have a patient and open minded approach. If it's been a minute since I mixed or if I've been working in other rooms I want to spend a minute listening to some of my other work to get comfortable again in front of my speakers. I only reference the rough for attitude and check balances to make sure I'm not overplaying or underselling anything that is part of the track based on how the creators were listening. I always want the main elements to have a character that sets them apart in the whole but is complimentary for the total. It's a black art and I just at the end of the day do what feels good to me and most of the time it works well and then there are times that you make a great mix and it's just not the thing that people ultimately want and they move on with another mix and mixer... can't worry about that stuff
Love your insight, thanks!
Old 12th June 2017
special guest

Welcome
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search