The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQ & Compression: Tracking Vs Mixing
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

EQ & Compression: Tracking Vs Mixing

Hi Jacquire,

I was wondering when you're both the engineer and mixer for a song what your approach to eq and compression is at the tracking vs mixing stage?

Are you eqing and compressing a decent amount to tape to get the sounds as close to a finished product as possible or is most of the heavy lifting and compression left for mix time? Are you mainly using hardware for tracking and plugins for mixing?

And do you have any go-to signal chains for tracking drums, bass, guitar, and vocals?

Thanks!
Old 10th June 2017
special guest

Commit To Sounds

I try to EQ and shape sounds to be as close as I think I can get in tracking and then do what is needed in mix to bring it all together. Most of the time it's smaller moves to get things to fit together for a mix but there are always exceptions. I mainly use hardware for recording and plugs for mixing. Plugs are not as good at extreme use as hardware so get it close on the way in and finesse on the way out. I like Neve, API, & Quad8 for recording and always have... classic compressors and EQs...
Old 11th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquireking View Post
I try to EQ and shape sounds to be as close as I think I can get in tracking and then do what is needed in mix to bring it all together. Most of the time it's smaller moves to get things to fit together for a mix but there are always exceptions. I mainly use hardware for recording and plugs for mixing. Plugs are not as good at extreme use as hardware so get it close on the way in and finesse on the way out. I like Neve, API, & Quad8 for recording and always have... classic compressors and EQs...
Great! Thanks for taking the time!
Old 13th June 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks Jacquire! Any specific goto signals chains or does it change often?
Old 14th June 2017
special guest

I have some basic things that are the same starting points but if it doesn't sound great then I try to change the source before the gear... Vocals are always something to research what the best pieces are

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search