The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do you choose to mix yourself ?
Old 5th June 2017
Lives for gear

How do you choose to mix yourself ?

Hi Mr King, and thanks a lot for your time !

I often wonder how and when you make the decision to work in tandem with another recording engineer than yourself, and to decide to mix an album yourself, or to delegate this task to someone else ? Can it be timing issue, record company pressure, or a feeling someone else would be better for a specific project ?

Thanks a lot !

Manuel.
Old 8th June 2017
Q & A Guest

Mixer Choice

Honestly you answered the question already... Sometimes a project comes and it's like we want you to produce and mixer ABC to mix... If a project I'm on has multiple producers I usually think its a good idea to have one mixer pull it all together and I don't think that should be myself... I'm very busy working on several projects and having mixes taking place while I'm on something else is needed at times... I love mixing and do it on about half of my projects..
Old 8th June 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot for your answer ! To go further on this matter, do you record differently when you know you won't be mixing the project ? Meaning do you avoid drastic Eq or mic summing for example, or do you do the exact same thing, as if you were going to mix it ?

Thanks again for your time !
Old 8th June 2017
I'd also like to add - as someone who is obviously very good at creating the final mix, do you find it hard to listen objectively to another mixer's interpretation? I recently had the first project I've helmed (co-prod/eng) mixed by someone you'd consider an "A-Lister" and I found it very hard not to add a million mix notes. How do you make yourself listen objectively to the result (aka how can I avoid doing that in future!).
Old 9th June 2017
Q & A Guest

I try to comment only on the big picture stuff and let all the little things that I might want to nit-pick go until it starts to represent the overall intention find it's place. The artist and their taste is always part of the equation too and see what they are feeling on the new mix. Obviously if it's way off or not right then that is a different matter. When someone else mixes it's not going to sound like me so I left go a lot in that way... It's hard but if the right things are speaking and it has a vibe then I go with that and let it be...

Hope this helps in some way
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search