The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Guitars! Dynamic Microphones
Old 1st June 2017
Gear Maniac

Recording Guitars!

Hey Jacquire, thank you for answering our questions! Huge fan of your work across the board.

There are a lot of aspects of your work that I admire, but one thing in particular is the guitar sounds you've achieved with Kings of Leon. The rhythm guitars in particular have a lot of dimension, while still feeling in your face. What is your process with recording guitars? How involved are you in dialing in the tone with the guitar player on the front end? What are your go-to processing chains on the front-end, and chains in the mixing process?

thanks again!
Old 7th June 2017
special guest

Guitars

Thanks for your note. Always very involved in getting the sound that is desired to come through the amp first... add a couple mics (a 57 and u67 on KOL) and blend through some additional EQ... I don't often use compression on distorted electrics when I record and save that for mix... it's usually cleaner guitar sounds that I compress on the way in. Also often combine amps to a track... Make the source sound great... I added a delay (panned to the opposite side) to almost all the KOL guitars. Best wishes
Old 9th June 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquireking View Post
Thanks for your note. Always very involved in getting the sound that is desired to come through the amp first... add a couple mics (a 57 and u67 on KOL) and blend through some additional EQ... I don't often use compression on distorted electrics when I record and save that for mix... it's usually cleaner guitar sounds that I compress on the way in. Also often combine amps to a track... Make the source sound great... I added a delay (panned to the opposite side) to almost all the KOL guitars. Best wishes
Very cool, thank you!
Old 12th June 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquireking View Post
Jacquire, do you mind elaborating on the delay? Is it a "doubler" style 40ms delay or a rhythmic delay? A clean delay, or more filtered and analogous like the RE-20?

Thanks!
Old 12th June 2017
special guest

CHEERS
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search