The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Q+A with Howie Weinberg

Options
Views: 6,857
24th November 2017
Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post

We are now closed to new questions! Howie will try to get all of the most recent ones answered within a few days' time at most....

Whitecat
replies: 0 views: 2,364
Whitecat 29th May 2013

Hello and welcome! Expert Q&As are one of the coolest things we do around here on a semi-regular basis. It's your chance...

Whitecat
replies: 0 views: 2,950
Whitecat 8th May 2013

With over 30 years experience as head mastering engineer at the world renowned Masterdisk Studios in NYC, Howie Weinberg has...

Whitecat
replies: 0 views: 7,798
Whitecat 3rd May 2013

Hi Howie, You've mentioned instances where you didn't have to do much because the mix was great. Somehow I imagine that Howie...

lefthanddoes
replies: 1 views: 13,570
Howie Weinberg 4th June 2013

I am a newbie to audio engineering and very much interested. I found out recently that i cant hear several high frequencies. I...

tranceyhouse
replies: 1 views: 4,636

thanks for doing this, it s a honour for me to have an answer from you. i usually mix into a compressor with just a few dB s of...

mrc
replies: 1 views: 6,317

Like everyone else, I would like to thank you for all the great work you have done ! I would like to ask your opinion on...

alvinphoto&sound
replies: 1 views: 4,062

What digital brickwall limiter do you use the most? Thanks for all your great info. It's been a real treat!!! -Alex

RedTuxedo
replies: 2 views: 8,564

wondering what your thoughts are on the 100 hz area of the kick and wack you know making it punch in the chest. Any...

Kris Bang Boom
replies: 1 views: 7,029

I've read so many articles recently on how engineers use gentle compression at every stage of recording/mixing to help (amongst...

jaffa
replies: 1 views: 4,842

You mentioned that in some projects you were requested to be fairly heavy handed in mastering (like RHCP's BSSM). Can you...

CoreRec
replies: 1 views: 4,616

Hi Howie, Do you use some of your work, or others work, as references? Can you give some exemples of well mastered...

E Artsy Moods
replies: 1 views: 5,580

I frequently find myself in the position where I print the mix the way I want it and the way I want it sent to mastering, meaning...

PRobb
replies: 0 views: 3,126
PRobb 30th May 2013

hey howie, what are the majority of big name mixers sending you format wise? 96k wavs? tape? any DSD or 1bit stuff? also,...

aramism
replies: 1 views: 7,117
Howie Weinberg 24th May 2013

Hi Howie, Thank you for helping us with your precious answers! I wonder If you get any soft clipping from A/D converter at...

bbensoy
replies: 1 views: 5,903

Do you have any tips on finding the right Attack and Release settings using a Limiter when Mastering ?:)

ScumBum
replies: 2 views: 6,935

Hi Howie I would love to know at what stage of your mastering process you downsize to 44.1Khz 16 Bit and What do you do first? Do...

mgarzak
replies: 1 views: 4,261

First off, thank you for taking the time to do this. I've always loved Streetcore by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros. I...

NAJ89
replies: 1 views: 3,355

Thanks for your time Howie... I just realized that you did the Mastering for "Ahi Vamos" de Gustavo Cerati, how do...

elcubo
replies: 1 views: 3,547

Hey Howie! Thanks for taking the time to give us all a peek inside your world of engineering. It's rare in any industry to get...

indecline
replies: 1 views: 5,875

Howie, hey! After finishing an album, have you ever wished you could go back and make (even the subtlest) changes? If so, can...

LouieGooey
replies: 1 views: 3,907

What kind of communication might go on between you and the mixer of a project, and what do you want to know from them? I'm an...

Grubgoat
replies: 1 views: 5,990
Howie Weinberg 21st May 2013

hi howie! what's your own favorite master that you did??

nott
replies: 1 views: 4,359

Firstly, do you do this more often than not? What is it mainly that you listen for, ie what are the most important things you...

Sotsirc
replies: 1 views: 4,573

Hello Howie. Thanks again for doing this. Do you play any instruments? I know many mastering engineers that do (Bob Ludwig...

RedTuxedo
replies: 1 views: 4,960

I am wondering if you ever use visual cues, such as from a spectrum analyzer or phase meter, to hone in on what your ears are...

jasman
replies: 1 views: 3,545

Hi Howie When you receive mixes from the BIGS... on average what kind of headroom are they leaving you? Peaks and RMS if...

jglover
replies: 1 views: 6,014

I just pulled out a test master for a record our band did in 1986, mastered by you at Masterdisk. The vinyl (or is it even...

thingsbreak
replies: 1 views: 3,806

Hi Howie, welcome and thanks for letting us pick your brain! When applying any changes (EQ, compression, spatial), do you make...

andychamp
replies: 1 views: 4,067

Hi Howie. You mastered the 'Singles' soundtrack which had included a song I wrote for the band Truly called "Heart and...

mellotronic
replies: 1 views: 4,051

Do you output masters peaking at 0dBfs, or do you leave, say 0.5dB of headroom to reduce clipping when consumers convert to lossy...

Trakworx
replies: 1 views: 6,244

Hi Howie, thanks for doing this. As a big Andy Wallace fan, I'm interested in what you think makes his mixes different from...

kosmokrator
replies: 1 views: 7,667
Howie Weinberg 15th May 2013

Great to have you here Howie! You mentioned using analog EQ and compression. How often and for what reasons do you use any type...

ericmixer
replies: 1 views: 6,234

Hello Howie, I would like to know what is/was your approach/set up for cutting a record. (How) do you process the signal from...

jetam
replies: 1 views: 3,782

Howie - thank you for making yourself available. I am curious if you check master mixes on "real world" speakers or...

andrewskee
replies: 1 views: 5,841

Hi Howie, Many thanks for taking the time to do this. For years, I've used The Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar..." when I...

DanGo
replies: 1 views: 6,629

Hi Howie! What are the most consistent problems you face in hip-hop mixes and has it changed over the years because things...

kingrhythm
replies: 1 views: 4,517

How often on average and for how long do you take a break? Or does it depend on the project?

Ashtray Heart
replies: 4 views: 5,811

Hello Howie, thanks for doing this Q&A and congratulations for your spectacular career. I would like to know as much as...

mordente
replies: 1 views: 5,734
Brett 123 15th May 2013

Hey Howie. When using an EQ for mastering what is the best way to determine which frequencies need to be cut or boosted, and by...

Philosopher
replies: 0 views: 3,299
Philosopher 14th May 2013

Hi Howie- First I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to do this, and second I want to thank...

JR465
replies: 0 views: 2,229
JR465 10th May 2013

Hi Howie, Thanks for coming here and answering our questions. Just recently realized I am a big fan, finding your name on 20+...

lefthanddoes
replies: 1 views: 5,082
Howie Weinberg 10th May 2013

Hello Howie, A bit of an odd question here but in the last 10 years I played in a couple of bands that had our albums mastered...

23onibaba
replies: 1 views: 5,380

First, thank you very much for doing this thread. It's great to get a sense of what the process is after the record leaves our...

disinfor
replies: 2 views: 5,330

Hi Howie Thank you very much for going this. When you get mixes that are too transparent/digital sounding that needs color...

Rickard Bengtsso
replies: 1 views: 6,090

Brilliant to have you here :) How do you decide how far to go with "loudness"? You mentioned in an earlier question...

narcoman
replies: 1 views: 6,859

Hi Howie, Thanks for dropping by. Can you take a minute to talk about certain frequency areas that are either important for...

GreenNeedle
replies: 3 views: 6,968

A while ago you mastered a dance project I worked on as a mix engineer. You did a great job (as expected). But what I want to...

Joram
replies: 3 views: 8,520

Hi Howie, Can you share what equipment and techniques you used to master Muse's Black Holes and Revelations? Do you recall what...

softshoe
replies: 4 views: 8,072

I think you've done some OUTSTANDING masters over the years. I've also seen a few be remastered to be the modern hot and blah...

CoreRec
replies: 3 views: 6,866
Bob Olhsson 10th May 2013

hello howie! thank you for taking your time for doing this, really appreciate! i have only a very basic question: how do...

JohnnyReverb
replies: 2 views: 5,310
DAH 10th May 2013

Mr Weinberg, what are a few mastering techniques for enhancing the perceived dynamic range and frequency extension ranges of a...

psykostx
replies: 0 views: 2,297
psykostx 10th May 2013

Hello Howie, First off I have to say I love many of the masters you have done and thank you for taking the time to answer our...

mmarra
replies: 1 views: 6,523
Howie Weinberg 9th May 2013

Forum Tools
Search this Forum
Search this Forum :

Advanced Search