The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Singer/Songwriter Recording
Old 16th July 2018
Singer/Songwriter Recording

Hi Mr. Emerick,

thank you very much for doing this.
I'm recording a singer songwriter (just voice and guitar) this weekend and the reference he gave me was "Blackbird", so I thought I might get some tips straight from the horses mouth.

My question is not so much about the actual Blackbird session, but more of a general question.

How would you approach a session like this? What would your mic setup be? Recording acoustic guitar in stereo/mono? Any other general tips for that type of session?

Thank you very much!
Edgar
Old 23rd August 2018
Hello Edgar, I assume the singer has no problem singing the song. So rather than overdub the vocal to the guitar I suggest your first thought is to record it live, Vocal and guitar. This of course can cause some problems, but you will get a much more heartfelt recording from the artist, so don't be clever here , use one mic on the guitar and obviously a vocal mic and record it mono, you will have some separation problems, you can use your revrerb if any to spread the sound. sometimes you can help the separation by placing a piece of card between the mics. but not always possible. If you want to do it by laying down the guitar first thats up to you but now we are into the realms of click tracks which you don't really want. I hope this gives you food for thought, its up to you. Geoff

Geoff Emerick
WWW.GEOFFEMERICKMASTERCLASS.COM
Geoff Emerick | Emerick Beats
IG @ geoffemerick
FB @ officialgeoffemerick
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search