The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EMI Tape magic?
Old 15th July 2018
Lives for gear

EMI Tape magic?

Hi Geoff,
I'm interested in your thoughts on the EMI-brand tape sound they used in EMI's studios and what you liked and used afterward.

I really enjoyed your book Here, There and Everywhere and remember the story of you saving the day when the tape almost shed fully after Paul's Nigeria sessions.

Thanks for a lifetime of brilliance!
Old 19th July 2018
Hi there, yes we used EMI Tape I think it was coded 77, the classical engineers were beginning to like AGFA I can't remember the # but they liked it because of the enhanced top end, the American brands were never used in EMI Studios.One great thing about the EMI Tape was that the backing of the tape never disintegrated so as far as I know to this day the oxide does not shred fro the backing I think it was due to the Whale product in the make up. I guess working in other studios it would probably have been Scotch tape. Geoff

Geoff Emerick
Geoff Emerick | Emerick Beats
IG @ geoffemerick
FB @ officialgeoffemerick
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search