The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Eleanor Rigby Strings Condenser Microphones
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear

Eleanor Rigby Strings

Hi Geoff, Can you tell us about the string sound(s) on Eleanor Rigby?

I feel like it was one of the first rock songs with only strings and yet pretty dry close miced strings as well. Is that a correct assertion?

I'm curious, was that vibe something you and the production team thought about ahead of time? or was it just one of those things that happened naturally?

Lastly were the string tracks played live to a stereo track? or were there overdubs?

Thanks appreciate it.
Old 19th July 2018
HI there good question, When Paul had written the lyric to Eleanor Rigby, it was discussed as to how the instrumentation was going to be, strings were suggested but Paul said " I don't want that Mantovani sound"which was a lush normal sound. So we started to talk on a style of writing and George Martin had the idea of the shower scene from" Psycho" with that strident string sound. So my approach was that we wanted a new string sound not one that was with the mic fifteen feet In the air. The score was written for a double string quartet and I decided to mic the strings very closely, i.e. one inch away from where the bow hit the string and I usedKM 56's andKM 54's because of physical size, the cello was I believe a U48 or U 47. The strings were recorded to four tracks. and I mixed them down to a second four track in stereo and the last two tracks were used for Vocal odds. Geoff

Geoff Emerick
Geoff Emerick | Emerick Beats
IG @Geoffemerick
FB @ officialgeoffemerick
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

those came out beautiful Geoff nice work...magical
Old 24th July 2018
Here for the gear

It's actually my all-time favourite recorded stringssound in non-classical music. It only enhances the melancholy and urgency of the lyrics. Masterful work, Mr. Emerick
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search