The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mahavishnu with LSO, Tilson Thomas - Apocalypse Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 9th July 2018
Lives for gear
Mahavishnu with LSO, Tilson Thomas - Apocalypse

Hi Geoff

I can't imagine the difficulties in such a massive undertaking so I'll restrict my questions to a basic nature. Mainly, were there one sound stage or 2 side by side in the recording? If only one sound stage together I'd imagine there was a re-evaluation in Mic choices for both the Orchestra and the Band due to bleeds etc., or maybe even if there were one sound stage. Also any other insights you can recall regarding this recording would be great. Anyway, thanks much for your time.

All the best, Alan
Old 19th July 2018
Hi There what a great question no one has ever asked me before about the complications involved in recording this epic, maybe it's taken for granted. We are in number one studio at A.I.R. in London and we have the rhythm section in with that huge orchestra.We have a run-through, can't seperate rhythm from orchestra, panic. So What I did was this, because the basic rhythm was fairly simple I set the rhythm section up in number three remix room via a video link up to Tilson Thomas for conducting purposes. Narada Micheal Walden was behind the mixing console [ playing not mixing ] I had one 4038 above drums one snare mic and one bass drum mic and what ever I could find for guitars and bass. We then started more run-throughs with not many problems I got the separation I wanted between orchestra and rhythm section, don't forget we are working with professional people here, they could handle it. Believe it or not when I See Narada he says he will never forget that session saying to me it was the best drum sound of his life. Best Geoff and thank you

Geoff Emerick
Geoff Emerick | Emerick Beats
IG @ geoffemerick
FB @ officialgeoffemerick
Old 20th July 2018
Lives for gear
Wow, I never would have imagined what you ultimately came up with.

Much thanks and all the best,

Alan
Old 21st July 2018
Gear Guru

Thank you so much for answering this, Geoff. Apocalypse is one of the most beautiful recordings ever made.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search