The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microphones then and now
Old 5th July 2018
Microphones then and now

Hello, also loved your book and really well done. I think many of us wonder what it would have been like to observe those sessions on the Beatles...or so many of them following that great era.

My question is "do you find the vintage microphones better than the new microphones of today?" in other words "do you feel if you had the multitude of microphones available today you might have included some of these in your EMI/Abbey Road mic choices back in the early days?"
Old 7th July 2018
Hi. Working at E.M.I Studios gave me the use of some of the best Microphones ever made, these Mics were all tube mics, mainly AKG. and Neumann, then towards the latter years of the sixties transistors came into being. The difference was quite noticeable sometimes not in a good way. I still today if I can, use the now very expensive original microphones, if not available I will use some of todays renditions, I don't think I would use any of them if they had been available going back to Beatle days

Geoff Emerick
Audio Engineer Masterclass
Geoff Emerick | Emerick Beats

IG @ geoffemerick
FB @ officialgeoffemerick

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search