The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fairchild & EMI/Altec Compressors... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 5th July 2018
Gear Addict

Fairchild & EMI/Altec Compressors...

In your book "Here, There and Everywhere" you shared how you overloaded the Fairchild to create more excitement on the drums while recording "Tomorrow Never Knows".

More generally, beyond the Fairchild on drums, can you share your memories for favorite uses of the Fairchild and the EMI/Altec compressors in typical usage i.e. Paul's Bass, Acoustic Guitars, Vocals etc...

Thank you!
Old 24th August 2018
I'm going to start by saying that the Altec compressor the only one we had access too in each studio was the one I used on Pauls Bass and accoustic guitars. When I became a recording engineer I tried the Fairchild 660 for the first time on the Dobro guitar on "Pretty Flamingo" by Manfred Mann. the drums ended up going through the Fairchild on most Beatle tracks after that and vocals and guitars too, that is all I had but I was over driving it to creat those sounds. Geoff

Geoff Emerick
Audio Engineer Masterclass
Geoff Emerick | Emerick Beats
IG @ geoffemerick
FB @ officialgeoffemerick
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search