The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fairchild use
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

Fairchild use

Hi Geoff,
I’ve heard stories of how the Fairchild Limiter was attached between the desk and the tape machine during Beatles-era sessions, and so everything passed through it - even reduction mixes. Is this true? If so, was there a good amount of limiting going on, or just the occasional peak barely moving the needle?

Thanks!
Old 7th July 2018
Hi, THE Fairchild limiter could of course be put across the mix although I never used them for that,i just used the Fairchild to limit different instruments at the time of recording, and normally there would be a good amount of limiting if not excessive, I really used them to create certain sounds. Of course their use was down to the individual engineers.

Geoff Emerick
Audio Engineer Masterclass
Geoff Emerick | Emerick Beats
IG @ geoffemerick
FB @ officialgeoffemerick
Old 8th July 2018
Gear Nut

Hi Geoff!

If I could ask additionally? For tracking, how many Fairchild's would you normally use when tracking a band such as The Beatles? On which instruments would you prefer to use either the Fairchild or the RS124?

Are there any other limiters that you really like? Thanks!
Old 8th July 2018
Gear Guru

When I listen to Revolver especially, I hear a ton of creative compression. The drums in particular, have an awesome "squish," is that from the Fairchild or a different compressor?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search