The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonic Differences Between Abbey Road and White Album
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sonic Differences Between Abbey Road and White Album

Hi Geoff,

Even though the White Album and Abbey Road were recorded with a relatively short amount of time between them, the sonic differences between the two are pretty stark (in terms of high end, transient response, overall clarity). From what I can gather, similar mic'ing techniques were employed (outside of stereo mic'ing Ringo's drums on The End), same room, same 8-track machines, but the TG console was introduced between the two sets of sessions.

How much did the TG console account for the sonic differences in the resulting albums? Were there other factors (e.g. EQ or compression being used differently, fewer tape generations)?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great question, I'm interested in the hearing the reply, too. I remember when I purchased the White Double, then only available in vinyl.
Music was (is) great, but one of the muddiest of all Beatles records, not only compairing the Abbey Road. The later digital outputs of the WD have made the sound more clear, I think.
BTW, I believe that one reason for the brilliat sound of the Abbey Road, is, not only the desk, but the 16 track machine. Or am I wrong, did they use two 8-trackers in the AR?

And Geoff, I wish all the best for you. You are the master of the close mic technique.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search