The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Air Studio - Neve Story Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 29th June 2018
Gear Addict

Air Studio - Neve Story

Hi Geoff,

There is a story that been floating around for years surrounding the first installation of the original Air Studio Neve 80 Series Desk. The story is that you were not pleased with the "initial" sound of the desk. The Neve technicians came out to check the desk and could not find "anything wrong" and certified the desk to be performing to "specification".

But...due to your continued dissatisfaction with the sound, Rupert Neve eventually personally came to the studio and after listening with you, he discovered 3 modules had in fact been incorrectly wired. The legend is "Emerick's ears" could hear would the Neve technicians instruments did not reveal.

Can you share any memories of that event and was the "repaired" Neve desk the console you eventually recorded the phenomenally sounding "Bridge of Sighs" ?

Thank you!

Tim Cochran
Old 2nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce 225 View Post
due to your continued dissatisfaction with the sound, Rupert Neve eventually personally came to the studio and after listening with you, he discovered 3 modules had in fact been incorrectly wired. The legend is "Emerick's ears" could hear would the Neve technicians instruments did not reveal.
Just for the sake of context, this story was actually repeated by Mr. Neve himself when he was interviewed by Jules many years ago.
Old 2nd July 2018
I detected that there was a lack of sparkle on those desks, after discussing the problem with Rupert he came to AIR Studios and we sat down and I tried to explain my problem. He understood where I was coming from. He then went away and came back with what he told me was a modification to the module but he was trying to catch me out just to check that what I was hearing was still the same. After many meetings with Rupert at the studios over a few months he eventually came up with the solution. I think he changed the transformer and transistors because what he had detected from our meetings was that what I was FEELING rather than HEARING was harmonics derived from 50K, Rupert tells this story at many of the talks he gives. There were never three modules wired incorrectly and yes this modified desk was as far as I can remember used for the recording of " BRIDGE OF SIGHS "
Old 4th July 2018
Lives for gear

it would be cool if you could expound on that "Neve" sound more we had a 52 in 8078 with 1107 and i forget what other modules..i remember checking with my tech about the hi end shelving {lol} if i added +6 at 10 k shelving i got a +3 dB spike at 5k ..plus that big fat bell on the low end..talked to Rupert seems that there were many many variations on the 80 series even inside the designated nomenclature
Old 5th July 2018
Gear Addict

Favorite Recording Desk(s) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffemerick View Post
I detected that there was a lack of sparkle on those desks, after discussing the problem with Rupert he came to AIR Studios and we sat down and I tried to explain my problem. He understood where I was coming from. He then went away and came back with what he told me was a modification to the module but he was trying to catch me out just to check that what I was hearing was still the same. After many meetings with Rupert at the studios over a few months he eventually came up with the solution. I think he changed the transformer and transistors because what he had detected from our meetings was that what I was FEELING rather than HEARING was harmonics derived from 50K, Rupert tells this story at many of the talks he gives. There were never three modules wired incorrectly and yes this modified desk was as far as I can remember used for the recording of " BRIDGE OF SIGHS "
Thanks so much for sharing your memory. We have two Neve desks that are still used daily in our Nashville studio and we were keen to hear the "real story".

Best Regards,

Tim
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search