The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"
Old 24th December 2002
Here for the gear

I like the fact that the recpit doesn't have the politically correct tone to it. I am one of the bull****ters that some of you think is childish or immature. I've been in the business for almost 30 years. The business itself is bull****. I make my living from it, but I don't take it too seriously.
There's more bull**** in the music industry than in politics as far as I'm concerned.
I have talked to A&R people who hate the diaries. I've talked to musicians who hate the diaries. I myself love it because I know it's a slap in the face to some of the assholes in the business-both on the musician end and the label end.

I understand there are some of you guys/gals that take the equipment thing seriously. But there is bull**** on gearslutz too. I just talked to a guy who was at a session concering a band that was discused on one of these threads. Everyone seemed to know all about it. Everyone was wrong. Not even close to the truth. The nature of the discussion concerned a recording technique that was so "ingenious." The fact is, the recording technique was a ****-up. A mistake, left because of budget constraints. You sure wouldn't have known that from what was posted here by the experts. That's not the first time that's happened either.
If I was to share all the inside stuff that I know, and I don't know all that much, as opposed to what supposedly happened, it would create a **** storm. Some of the die hards wouldn't believe it anyway. Whether it be an engineer who played on the drum tracks in place of a so-called great drummer, or a producer who played the guitar parts because the guitar player couldn't or some "ingenious" recording technique that someone invented.
I've actually heard stuff discussed here as if it's gospel truth when in fact it isn't. And the people who could challenge it, would never. They know better. It's as if it's a "quiet" joke that's kept under wraps. Some of you folks know just what I'm talking about.

Some of the bull**** on recpit (mm's forum) is actually a bit deeper that some may understand. It is indirectly aimed at certain manufacturers, industry people, and a whole lot more. It may all sound like senseless joking and some of it is. But some of it is a bit deeper.

I think it all needs to be taken in perspective.

bbchessman
Old 27th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Well this is interesting. Now instead of talking about recording, we're talking about talking about recording. No wait a minute, what were we talking about? Oh yeah....
I thought recpit was pretty much fantastic right up until the MM diaries took off. Now I can't go there anymore.
(I was going to continue about how pathetic the site has become but others have said it and I agree)

What to do? You can't censor and you can't let things keep going the way they are. Or can you?

I don't really care. I can just hang here. And maybe in a little while, this place will become like recpit 'cause there's too much traffic or not the right kind of traffic.....maybe that's just like life you know? Gentrification. Some love it, some hate it but somebody's making money.

I will say that Fletcher, you are always entertaining and informative, however, you've probably set the tone for a lot of the mudslinging that goes around there these days. Or if not exactly set the tone, certainly written the permission slip. It works for you somehow, alas others do not fare so well.

MM's thing is totally out of hand. Actually I think M&M's thing is in his hand and 'nuff said about that.

Seems like a lot of forums over there are turning into what Bob's always was......a chance to amuse the other 13 year olds.

All others are and shall remain blameless.
Old 27th December 2002
s2n
Gear Nut

So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"

Too many tinkerers. Too many egos. Too many guys that think they're "high end pros." None of the high end chudders that I know hang on web forums. They're too busy making records.
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Cool

Thanks to all here for their comments, both positive and negative, about my Forum on PSW.

May I ask for your ideas on how to improve what happens there?

I'm trying to move it more towards 'Technique' questions, not really being very into the 'Favor of the Month' gear stuff, (I'll leave that to this site, and the MANY MUCH MORE qualified Posters here), and I'm also trying to keep my Forum open for 'Newbies' to ask questions, no matter how simple, without fear of castration.

Yes, there IS a lot of bull**** that goes on there, but WAY less than some of the pissing contests dfegad that are happening elsewhere, and I never intend on censoring or stopping any of it on my board, as long as it's up to me to make that decision.

However, one the first page of my board, almost ALL the topics, (except three or four), ARE 'Audio/Recording' related threads. So, if ya have an idea, please let me know what it is, even if it's to "Go **** myself!!"

If not, and you still hate the Forum, and don't come over, I guess that subliminal, post-hypnotic stuff I tried on you all didn't work very well.

I hope to see your answers here, (or maybe even there....)

Otherwise, if not, I suppose that, just for the sake of *Keeping in the Character* that I have been identified as having, (NOT without just cause and/or brought on by my stellar personality, mind you!! yuktyy) , I should just say "GO **** YOURSELVES, THEN!!" heh

And, Jules, I love ya Man!!

Thanks for the keeping this site up!!
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by THEMIXFIX
May I ask for your ideas on how to improve what happens there?
Have you thought of having no respect and shamelessly giving away free audio gear to anyone that answers questions about TV shows from the 60s with people that dress like animals to fight crime and have animal names?
Old 29th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Talking

Yea, but I ran out of the "Vintage U-47s" that were given away as prizes, and then everyone lost interest in the contest....

BUT, if you can tell me the episode number of "Leave it to Beaver", where Wally gets a new haircut, I have an extra Distressor laying around....dfegad
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
BUT, if you can tell me the episode number of "Leave it to Beaver", where Wally gets a new haircut, I have an extra Distressor laying around....dfegad
Geeee . . . uh, well geeee wiz Lumpy, I can't remember things like that NOW!
Old 29th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:

BUT, if you can tell me the episode number of "Leave it to Beaver", where Wally gets a new haircut, I have an extra Distressor laying around....
I guess 11. "Ward, don't be too hard on the Beaver".
Old 29th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
I guess 11. "Ward, don't be too hard on the Beaver".
Actually, that was the *Most Nasty* thing said on a 1960's TV Show!! grggt
Old 29th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

"amuse other 13 year-olds"

Actually I'm eighteen with 25 years practice.
Bob,thanks for making the effort to answer EVERY post-even mine!
Although PSW could take the "what's the best 4 track" question
off the web page entrance to the Pit.
Everyone knows "vintage" 16 bit minidisc or ADAT is best anyway.
(wonder if the BF plug-in is coming soon?)

Chris
Old 29th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Talking

Thanks, Chris, and you're VERY welcome!! yuktyy

I'm in my 40's, still going on 13, so that actually was quite the compliment!! heh

The Plug Ins for your Tascam 8 Track Analogue deck are coming along just swell, or so I hear, between the explosions!!
Old 29th December 2002
There is only one

go **** yerself bob. fuuck
Old 29th December 2002
Here for the gear

Re: So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"

thanks Fletcher for the opportunity to respond to this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Are the Mixerman diaries distracting to the larger event?
No, but they've gotten so rare, I don't think they really have much impact anymore. It's pretty clear that it's a rather impressive spinning of a fictional yarn.

Quote:
Have I let my forum get into too much 'personality mud slinging'?
It is a clique of people who seem to relish the opportunity to call each other names and embarrass themselves. It seemingly has less to do with audio and more do with being clever in one's responses and as insulting as possible to newbies.

I think that much of RecPit (particularly MM's forum, but yours as well) is VERY unfriendly to new people looking for an intelligent forum in which to discuss issues of music/audio. The entrenched few are so in love with their own voices that they've stopped listening.

Quote:
What about Brad Blackwood's or J. Hall's forum?
I have just begun to investigate Blackwood's, and I think it seems relatively sane by comparison to yours and MM's.

Quote:
Why don't more people take advantage of Nika and John Klett's knowledge?
I'm really not sure, except that Nika's forum seems REALLY dry to me, though I do respect the vibe and the knowledge being presented there. I've not looked into Klett's forum yet.

Again, I very much appreciated the opportunity to express these views.

All the best,
Rich
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

Bob --

Now that's what I call promotion!

The bottom line? You sound sane to me.

I've been hanging at the RecPit, but at Nika's forum. He wears a white lab coat, I stare at him like a rhesus monkey, he tries to feed me, then he wonders why the monkey won't eat.

Some heady **** at that forum, but I need to learn it.

Ironically, I've always considered the RecPit the super serious forum. But that's me, I guess. Even as a kid I knew how to change channels on the TV.

Sounds like I'm missing out. Guess I'll have to try out some of the fun stuff as well.

Jasper
49 going on 12 so he can stay creative and not turn into a ****ing technician (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Old 29th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Cool

Mike:

Thanks for the honest reply, but watch out for this calling me *sane* ****, okay? rollz
Old 29th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
go **** yerself bob. fuuck
AJ:

I'm trying, but I have to wait for the 'Penis Enlarger Kit' I ordered from a spam email to arrive in order to get even CLOSE to reaching that *goal*!! dfegad grggt
Old 29th December 2002
Here for the gear

oh good, a troll comes out to play

I've been looking forward to this opportunity.......

Quote:
Originally posted by bbchessman
I like the fact that the recpit doesn't have the politically correct tone to it.
Well of course you do. You appear to need to have some kind of playground in which to beat people up.

Quote:
I've been in the business for almost 30 years. The business itself is bull****. I make my living from it, but I don't take it too seriously.
There's more bull**** in the music industry than in politics as far as I'm concerned.
Well, now you get to be an actual PART of the bull**** instead of just observing it. I gather that makes you happy. I suppose that must engender some kind of feeling of accomplishment or something.

Oh yes, I've been in business for over 30 years too. Big whup. "The business itself is bull****" is nothing more than a childish cop-out for your own bad behaviour. You are keeping people off that list who might want to contribute something positive instead of calling their schoolyard friends names, and you don't even give a ****.

At this point, I couldn't care less if you were god's gift to engineering or music production, I wouldn't read anything you have to say.

Quote:
But there is bull**** on gearslutz too.
You're a grown man and this flies as an excuse to you?

Let me ask you a question: who gives a **** whether people at a session even KNOW about RecPit or gearslutz? Is this some kind of social-life-replacement-vehicle for you?

Quote:
Some of the bull**** on recpit (mm's forum) is actually a bit deeper that some may understand.
Oops. That must be it. You guys are way out of my league. I could never understand the deep meanings and intense complexities of that stuff you guys write ("hey ****wad, suck my....." and all that other deep stuff).

Quote:
It is indirectly aimed at certain manufacturers, industry people, and a whole lot more.
Remind me to give a ****.

Look guy, you scare people off a public list by being an asshole, and apparently you KNOW this seeing as you write about it here, and clearly you DON'T CARE because you think you have nothing to learn from the people you're scaring away.

Either that or you're stupid and don't care that you're pissing all over somebody's rug.

Quote:
It may all sound like senseless joking and some of it is.
Oh come on. Really?

Pretty much of it is. That's what sucks about RecPit, and YOU are one of the main reasons.

Quote:
I think it all needs to be taken in perspective.
It just has been. Thanks for the opportunity.

Rich
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

I noticed that there are several categories of people who post at recording forums.

LEGENDS -- These guys are like the pretty girls with the big tits who talk to you while you're in line at the bank and you're thinking, "I can't believe she's ****in' talking to me." They have years of knowledge and experience in the biz, and for some divine reason they are willing to share their information with others. You can put Harvey Gerst and Bob Olhsson into this category.

NEWBIES -- Although they might have stature elsewhere, at the recording forums they are the tyros, the rank amateurs who (hopefully) are here to learn something. They are building a home studio, maybe, or hunting for their first engineering job ("What's the best gig for under $1,500 a month?"). You can put me into this category.

SEASONED PROS -- These are guys who want to hang with their peers, trade knowledge, and help out the new guys. These people are the lifeblood of the forums, and also tend to be the ones who create them. They're not quite old enough to have achieved legendary status, but they're well on their way. You can put Dave Martin and Knox into this category.

CRANKY SEASONED PROS -- These are the guys who post every three months or so to let everybody know they are too important and too busy to post on Web forums. They hate NEWBIES. Apparently, they also hate 13-year-olds. You know who these guys are.

PRO AUDIO DEALERS, SALES & MARKETING -- You know who these guys are, too.

SCHMOOZERS -- These are the guys with the not-so-hidden agendas. They're hoping to get contacts and connections through the forums to help them in their rise to stardom. They suck-up a lot. Curve Dominant fits nicely into this category. (He's a good boy, though.)

WISEASSES -- For the record, I am not gay. That was a rumor started by some guy who sucked my dick (see what I did there?). These are the guys who are funny (like me) or think they are funny (like me). They usually have pretty good writing skills and the ingrained belief that the Internet is a slightly surreal, pseudo-communication device that doesn't really ****ing count. CRANKY SEASONED PROS and SCHMOOZERS plain hate these guys and cry for Homeland Security measures. Others just ignore them. You can put Slipperman and Buontempo in this category and you can stand me next to them. To a certain extent, Jules and anyone else who runs a forum belong in this category too, otherwise... well, they'd just be ****ing insane, right?

Most people tend to fall into several categories. For example, I saw Slipperman break his wisass character and post as a seasoned pro. No. Really. I did.

Damn, I almost left one out.

ASSHOLES -- These are the guys who join Web forums then start putting everyone into little convenient categories.

Jasper
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Jasper
SEASONED PROS -- These are guys who want to hang with their peers, trade knowledge, and help out the new guys. These people are the lifeblood of the forums, and also tend to be the ones who create them. They're not quite old enough to have achieved legendary status, but they're well on their way. You can put Dave Martin and Knox into this category.
I resent the **** out of being called "seasoned" . . . . Fish are "seasoned". I'm just ****ing "OLD". As far as being "on my way to legendary status" . . . I may have been "on my way" once (at least in my mind) . . but I was wasted and I passed the street that I was suppose to have turned off of . . . now I have turned back around and looking for it again! *smile*

The PRO word REALLY pisses me off! *smile*

Plus, I assure you . . I'm old enough to have achieved legendary status(4 or 5 times) . . . and THEN some more. . . . Sheeesh!

Thanks for the kind words though (you sniffing glue AGAIN?)
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

Knox writes:
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words though (you sniffing glue AGAIN?)
Naw. The shot of whiskey in the morning coffee continues to work fine. It is the holidays you know, and they ain't over until the day after the Super Bowl. (Why do so many people not understand that?)

As to the kind words -- just sucking-up on my road to stardom.

Jasper
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

Slipperman --

In the future, all sentences will be paragraphs for about 15 minutes.

Jasper
PS -- Glad I make somebody laugh. Bill Hicks will make you laugh more, and I'll be sending that Monday.
Old 29th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Cool

Mike:

But, what IF I sometimes hate myself, TOO, for giving out practical, usuful information?

Plus, I DO appreciate the compliment, but, like Knox, I AM OLD!!

Thanks for *getting it*, you 'Stinking Old(er) (by only, like, weeks!! ) Fart', you!!

BTW, "What DO you think about the NEW ELA M 251, compared to the original?" grggt
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

Isn't this a topic that should be covered over there? (or is it?) Or is there a "What do you like/hate about gearslutz" topic over there? I dunno... Fresh prespective I guess. Ah, what's the link again?
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

rec pit

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Isn't this a topic that should be covered over there? (or is it?) Or is there a "What do you like/hate about gearslutz" topic over there? I dunno... Fresh prespective I guess. Ah, what's the link again?
there is no threads about Gearslutz at the RecPit, but your comments has been extensively discussed in Mixerman forum (you'll have to make a search, it has been a while ...)
Of course, the style is very ... "total maniacs" like, as usual.
Still a lots of people dig the place, even if everyone don't understand the purpose of such a place.

you don't really need a link, do you ?

Peace

malice
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: rec pit

Quote:
Originally posted by malice
there is no threads about Gearslutz at the RecPit, but your comments has been extensively discussed in Mixerman forum (you'll have to make a search, it has been a while ...
Those guys have been dogging us in a few threads. It's actually funny that now a couple of the DOG-EEs are now here for some reason. No specific thread that says *****slutz Sucks' last time I was there . . . . I would be reading something there that I thought may actually go somewhere" . . next thing I know, Gearslutz is being called a bunch of pussies. BIG deal! All I know is . . . there a few over there that have a lot of time to **** around on the net.

Remember, Fletcher started this thread to try to make THAT place better (however that may be). Personally, I don't give a **** where anyone wants to go. I'm happy here. One thing though . . . that place seems to be a ghost town on some of the other moderators forums because of this . . . and THAT'S a shame. I have stopped by Brad's or Fletcher's lately and it seems as though there are very little posts happening. Bob's and J.Halls as well . . compared to before it took this turn. This place seems to be growing. That says a lot. It's a shame because some of the other moderators have nothing to do with what's happening there, but may be suffering because of it.
Old 30th December 2002
urumita

normally I do searches to find what topics I'm interested in for whatever forum I'm visiting, or I end up in threads like this and waste everybodies time. thank god for pneumonia or I would have never had the time to check anything out. anybody want to say something about DSD and Pyramix?
Attached Thumbnails
So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"-dsdresponseneon.gif  
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Re: rec pit

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
Those guys have been dogging us in a few threads. It's actually funny that now a couple of the DOG-EEs are now here for some reason. No specific thread that says *****slutz Sucks' last time I was there

They are here for some reason, Gearslutz is a very good forum, and they don't bash Gearslutz constantly, cause it would be not fun anymore, and it is just about fun, and also usefull interesting threads, even if you don't seem to get them for some reason.
I see you there often Knox, you got to be there for some better reason than feel sorry.
Don't get me wrong, I read your posts here, I respect you, and I don't want you, or anybody here to think I'm a RecPit ****er that want to start a pissing contest at gearslutz. I'm not.
But I need the fun there (and apparently some of you too), as well as some perspective about this job that I can only have at Mixerman's.
But again, I'm not saying that Gearslutz is not a great forum.
Internet is big enough for both.

Quote:
there a few over there that have a lot of time to **** around on the net.
Come on, not that one again.
I understand you've met Slipperman, and the guy explained it quiet thoroughfully.
Some of us have time, some of us have time from time to time (like myself until January), some of us manage to write an insane amount of posts (including here) in 1 hour, wich leave a solid amount of lifetime.
And even if some are internet nuts, that don't make them useless members.

Quote:
that place seems to be a ghost town on some of the other moderators forums because of this . . . and THAT'S a shame. I have stopped by Brad's or Fletcher's lately and it seems as though there are very little posts happening. Bob's and J.Halls as well . . compared to before it took this turn. This place seems to be growing. That says a lot. It's a shame because some of the other moderators have nothing to do with what's happening there, but may be suffering because of it.
Well, You have a point.
That don't make Fletcher and Mixerman forum useless.
If they are succefull, it HAS to be from some reasons.
See, I stop posting wacky posts outside MM forum, and so everybody did more or less. I hope that will drive this forum to be a better place.
I can see the effects starting yet, a lot of newbies (and they are not ALL getting flamed) get the spirit before posting anything, and still they do, cause they know that it is just fun, and that they can get usefull answers.

I have to go working too, so I conclude by saying that it is not my intention to start the same thread about PSW here over and over, that would be too lame.

But as I will hang here on regular basis, I just wanted to say that I will contribute as usefully as I can, and fit the tone and the style of Gearslutz.
That won't stop me getting wild there ...

Hope you get this post as friendly as it was meant to be

malice
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
And even if some are internet nuts, that don't make them useless members.
New rule. Only one dick joke per sentence.

Example: Hootie. Johnson.

Jasper
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Talking

Yo, *Hootie*, my Johnson hurts just from reading that, ya Dickhead!!
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Jasper
New rule. Only one dick joke per sentence.

Example: Hootie. Johnson.

Jasper
Jasper,

I was hoping, as I decided to hang here a little, that I would not have to change my keyboard every now and then because of some hilarious post makes me spitt my coffee all over my titanium.

thanx

malice
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search