The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"
Old 12th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
Hi Ohso. Right here. Amongst my good friends.

SM.

Old 12th December 2002
Gear Head

Red face

Quote:
I can't really ask the question there
Oh but you could have. After all you are the forum 'Pit boss' as you say. Perhaps if you did you may have got a little more than Yes sir! We all agree Mixermans Forum is awful.

Why do WE hang out in Mixermans forum?

Let me try and explain without offending the fragile.

How many times can one post topics regarding 'Gear'. How to use it, when to use it, which EQ, I cant get the overheads to sound right blah, blah, blah

Old 12th December 2002
Little Labs

My only beef with pro sound web is with my one good eye I can't see the damn type when I'm writing a reply. Oh and maybe you can set it up this way on pro sound web ... but a very cool thing on gear slutz is when someone replys you get notified. Gerarslutz is the sexier interface ...no doubt. Oh and the view new posts feature would be nice on PSW. my two cents,
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Robinhood
Oh but you could have. After all you are the forum 'Pit boss' as you say. Perhaps if you did you may have got a little more than Yes sir! We all agree Mixermans Forum is awful.

Why do WE hang out in Mixermans forum?

Let me try and explain without offending the fragile.

How many times can one post topics regarding 'Gear'. How to use it, when to use it, which EQ, I cant get the overheads to sound right blah, blah, blah

Gosh, the actual nuts and bolts of engineering are so tedious. I wish I were too cool for them, too. Robinhood, can ya' show me how it's done?
Old 13th December 2002
I like this thread, it reminds me to check in on Mixermans miserable session!

Old 13th December 2002
Gear Nut

Re: Re: So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"

Quote:

because nika is an accountant. i dont ****ing care about the technical basis behind conversion or digital technology.... i just use my ears and do what i do. recording is an artform and nika has no place in that world. does 96khz matter? im gearing up right now and will do my first album with it next week.... i will just listen and find out.... plus, i feel like im wasting what my monitors can do cutting the information off at 24khz when they go up to 35khz. i could really give a **** less about "papers".... unless alice has been laid on them.

Ok Alpha....I understand the 'using your ears' sentiment. I understand 'recording is an artform' ( Hehe I REALLY understand & enjoy my friend alice)

I dont however understand how you can reject information that may help you increase the speed in your new learning curve(96Khz). Nika may be an 'accountant' as you state, But also one that is offering information that can be used to check against what you will be finding out for real very soon...

I find both you and Nika to be very generous in sharing experience/knowledge in the various forums I see you both in and would like to thank you both for that.

You are equally helpful

cheers
Old 13th December 2002
Gear Guru

some of the forums in PSW have too many "stickies". the first 5 or 10 topics are stickies.

I don't know how to explain it, but seeing them discourages me.
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

This thread is hyppocritical.
All who posted about the signal to noise factor, has just comitted the same offense, so get over yourselves.

The eliteism expressed by some here is laughable, and self serving.

The boards have a life of their own, they morph.
Trying to blame it on specific posters or a diary is plain dumb.
Things are lively over there and answers are given to real questions.

Context is everything.

Newbies are incumbant to read some of the pages of the forums, at the very least the topic titles, before posting for the hundreth time the same question addressing "How do I ...?"
I have answered at length these posts, and in return asked that they report the results... they never do... so newbies who lead off with an 'I want info" types of posts (in my view) are lazy, got what I wanted, screw you. So if they get directed to 'mine' the forum, they get bent all out of shape, and try to tell me how to respond (I want what I want and I want it now). **** that.

Historically, I have rarely seen many of you folks at recpit, unless you have a different handle there, save for the occasional "Jules was here" post.

That is Gearslutting at its finest.
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

loudist writes:

Quote:
I have answered at length these posts, and in return asked that they report the results... they never do
I do. And I did recently. It's only the results of Internet research, but I think it still counts.

That said, I do search the forums before I ask these questions, so I'm probably not exactly who you're talking about.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...&threadid=1903

Jasper
Old 13th December 2002
Lives for gear

You are correct Mike, if someone has made an effort to find out on their own and then ask as a last choice as opposed to the first choice... fine.

Here is a little perspective comparison :
>>>CLICK HERE<<<

Kinda makes this seem not very important.
Old 14th December 2002
Gear Head

Hi guys!

Uh-oh. Here comes the neighborhood.

Fletcher, I love PSW. I stop by there pretty much every day.

I like the new format. I like your forum.

I dig the Diary. I like MM's forum.

I like Harvey. Good addition, obviously.

I like J. Hall. That mother****er is trying really hard (I'm sure you've already noticed that). He's putting in a sincere effort to make his forum interesting and cool. And it's working.

Yeah, PSW has gotten noisey lately, but it's AE noise, so I find it interesting. Besides, the noise can be eliminated with gate called NOT CLICKING. Ifyaknowhatimean.

~~~

Jules. I like your site. Gearslutz, I mean. Thank you for providing it.
Old 14th December 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
Gosh, the actual nuts and bolts of engineering are so tedious. I wish I were too cool for them, too. Robinhood, can ya' show me how it's done?
yes I can.. Plug it in, hit record and if it sounds like **** do it again, and again until you get the desired 'good' sound. When you have recorded a lot of thingys you may end up with what is referred to as a song. Then there is a thing called 'mixing' what you have to do here is move faders (the long things on your mixing thing) to desired position. At this point you may wish to use your ears to actually find the desired position of the faders (the long thingys). When al this is done you have to bounce down to what is commonly refered to as a master source. This could be a dat, cd, or even a cassette tape. Some people can even make their computer do this. Its a strange and wonderful world I know.

Sometimes one can take the finished thing to what is referred to a mastering facility, or house. This is a place where the 'Man' in the white suite often adds other thingys that can make the thing sound better. Sometmes they can also make it sound worse. I that happens you may want to start all over again.

I hope this helps
Old 14th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by loudist

Historically, I have rarely seen many of you folks at recpit, unless you have a different handle there, save for the occasional "Jules was here" post.
Well, I've been registered at Pro Sound Web since January of 2002, and have posted 4 times. That couldbe because (A) I don't go over there much, or (B), I didn't have anything to ad to the conversation. Take your pick.
Old 14th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by loudist
This thread is hyppocritical.
The eliteism expressed by some here is laughable, and self serving.

First off, remember, we are answering Fletcher's Thread . . . we didn't start posting on this out of the blue.

I go over there and I post some. My problem is / was . . I open up Mixerman and have to scroll all the way down to view the topics to find one thing relevant to the business and sometimes there IS nothing. Or I would go to other Moderators forums and see topics about "Beer" or "Why Women Like Guys In Bands" or some **** like that. Personally, I don't give a **** about those things. Or Jack Ortman (or whatever his name is).

Now, you can say I don't have to open those threads and you are right . . . but they began to be more the majority over there rather then the minority. You look at the responses of those threads as opposed to threads about audio topics . . . . and they seemed to get more posts then anything else.

Now . . . after saying that . . . I admit that one of the busiest threads at Gearslutz was / is . . . . something along the lines of "What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You Ever Ate" . . . *lol* . . . . . so who the hell knows or cares?

I will say . . . Harvey seems to be chugging along, ALWAYS regarding audio, Klett seems to be straight answers. J. Hall seems to be trying to get things going. Brad is always trying as well. Poor Fletcher is doomed to what people post in his forum thinking it's what he wants to hear . . . but Fletcher tries to come through with info and cut through the bull****. I don't read the digital forums there because it's not what I do.

No competition. **** it doesn't matter where anyones goes to me . . we are simply answering the Thread topic.
Old 15th December 2002
Here for the gear

I only visit the Nika forum on recpit (yeah, I'm working with a digital DAW - so kill me). I dont have the patience or the mindset to filter through all the (often very aggressive) "smalltalk" in the more busy forums.

I also check DUC and Gearslutz. I very much appreciate the relatively low ego-level here at Gearslutz.

But I guess it depends on why you are online (what you are looking for: news, entertainment etc.) and how much time you are willing to spend.

The most helpful advice I have had from online forums was the Paul Frindle/Nika discussions that once appeared on musicplayer.com (and DUC). They really got me on the right track to understand how to get some good sound out of the digital stuff.

/Jan L.
Old 15th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
My problem is / was . . I open up Mixerman and have to scroll all the way down to view the topics to find one thing relevant to the business and sometimes there IS nothing. Or I would go to other Moderators forums and see topics about "Beer" or "Why Women Like Guys In Bands" or some **** like that. Personally, I don't give a **** about those things. Or Jack Ortman (or whatever his name is).

Now, you can say I don't have to open those threads and you are right . . . but they began to be more the majority over there rather then the minority. . . . after saying that . . . I admit that one of the busiest threads at Gearslutz was / is . . . . something along the lines of "What Is The Most Disgusting Thing You Ever Ate" . . . *lol* . . . . . so who the hell knows or cares?

Poor Fletcher is doomed to what people post in his forum thinking it's what he wants to hear . . . but Fletcher tries to come through with info and cut through the bull****.
Yes, yes, yes. 100% yes to all that.
Another thing about supposedly avoiding the dumber threads.....quite often I'll be reading stuff about recording bass or consoles under $20k and suddenly it all goes off in to a slanging match.
Now at Gearslutz we have stuff about 'hiring hot babes' in a thread about 'high end audio'.
Ok, I guess it's a joke, but still......
Fletcher, who started this topic, does come through with a lot of useful information and interesting opinion despite the noise factor.
I've seen quite a few posters in both forums AND I've seen people posting positive outcomes as well, I know I do.
I couldn't agree more with Knox and I don't think any of us would have said anything had we not been asked
Old 15th December 2002
member no 666

That's why the question was asked... because you wouldn't have said anything if you weren't asked.

Doing the 'Guest Moderator' schtick here has been way cool for the most part... but, as long as I'm doing a 'guest shot', I figured 'what the ****'... let's see how PSW [who pay me] is fairing in the minds and hearts of the 'forum reading crowd'.

In other words... lay it on. It's one of the reasons I took the opportunity to post the question here... [it wouldn't have been cool to post a question like that if I weren't doing the 'guest shot]... at the same time, the whole point of PSW is to serve the community... so "how can we make it better?" is a constant question over there.

BTW... the 'recpit' is like the poor bastard cousin over there. I don't know if you've ever taken the opportunity to wander around... but the ****ing site is huuuuuge!! The 'Live Audio Board' is like 9+ times the size and breadth of the 'recpit', the 'recpit' is also only like 15 months old...

With any luck, there are going to be some pretty cool changes, additions, deletions, etc. in the new year... this thread is sort of a "so, how we doin'?" kinda reality check... and I do sincerely appreciate everyone who has taken the time to comment!!!!!!
Old 15th December 2002
Lives for gear

I'm not a fan of forums that have banner ads. Something in the back of my mind makes me question if there's a conflict of interests even if there isn't one. I have noticed since the mixerman stuff that the quality of most of the people posting over there has dropped. I like the archives: tape loops, build your own mic, etc. But now-a-days, for me anyway, Recpit is to Mix Magazine as Gearslutz is to Tape Op. Think about the irony of that last statement if you like.
Old 15th December 2002
Lives for gear

I've also seen people over there claim things like "Artist X used a blah blah blah mic into a blah blah blah mic pre into a blah blah blah chain" for songs that I recorded. Hearsay and conjecture can be useful, but not if it's stated as factual information. Reminds me of the DUC sometimes
Old 15th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso

Another thing about supposedly avoiding the dumber threads.....quite often I'll be reading stuff about recording bass or consoles under $20k and suddenly it all goes off in to a slanging match.
LOL, I know . . . . yesterday, I was there reading something on Mixerman's forum, I think . . . . . (it seemed to be his only thread about audio) . . . . . all of a sudden, they start calling us at Gearslutz . . (if memory serves me right) "pussies and touchie / feelies" . . . . then off they went on that tangent . . . there went THAT thread! Like I give a **** what someone thinks on the internet. Hell I want to read and learn some stuff, hopefully give something in return. . . . . it's getting harder to do that over there, unless I sniff some glue and get into that head. Some of those guys over there seem to have a lot of time on their hands. Makes you wonder when they actually work.
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

Fletcher

About Nika's forum. Nika is brilliant and bright but perhaps his web style leans on the cold side which possibly keeps people at a distance. Also there doesn't tend to be that much discussion with him because not many people can talk on his level. Topics close down quite quickly. Kinda opposite to Jules!!!

There are times where that clinical style can be just the ticket; when solid info is sought.
Old 16th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

Are the Mixerman diaries distracting to the larger event?

What larger event? Anybody who posts there now without a secret identity is just asking for a swirlie.

-R
Old 16th December 2002
Gear Addict

A 'swirlie'! Man, I haven't heard that one in a long time. You made me smile.
Benjy
Old 16th December 2002
Here for the gear

Fletcher,

My opinion is pretty much like everyone's said already...

I like the static content, like the Tape-Op Archives and whatnot, but the Forums are leaving a lot to be desired. I've gone in search of a mildly interesting or useful thread lately, and haven't found one. Every single thread I visited--even the ones mocked up to look like a real thread--was simply filled with uninsightful thoughts, uninformed opinions, and spam. (Forum spam being much like trolling: simply posting a completely unrelated post that offers nothing to the current discussion.)

There was digression before, but it was a sort of 'digression between buddies'. I can't find any content on the boards there anymore, and I'm not that interested in posting my own questions or observations related to pro audio because I don't want to have to sift through the sand to find an answer or meaningful response. Now it's like Bob Buontempo's forum during its worst moments. Even Bob commented on a thread recently that it's sad when his forum has the most meaningful, audio-related posts.

Aside from that, the prosoundweb.com site in general is a little hard to navigate. =/ Everything is cluttered with no clear bounderies; but it's getting better, I like the new design a lot. The webmasters seem to have cleared up a bit of the clutter, but the navigability is still suffering. Unforunately, it's suffering in the same way that many current sites are suffering: trying to be a little too much like a "everything in the world that you want is here, and HERE is it!" kind of site. That may not make much sense...but basically it all boils down to ease of navigation, and being able to locate content easily and find related content just as easily.
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Maniac

As others have said, there seems to be a cycle of interest,
popularity, noise, and death. Like Berra said, nobody goes
there anymore, it is too crowded.

Seems to me that the forums and newsgroups can't
handle the very different needs of folks with different experience
levels. We have to have newbies, to buy the mass market
stuff and allow economies of scale.

All the forums and newsgroups desparately need FAQs.
They need to answer the "best mic" questions,
and the "what preamp" and "how do I use an EQ"
and get all that stuff out of the way. Let folks just say,
here is a link to the FAQ and be done.

With that done, you still need to have segments both by
topic (technique, gear, religion) and experience level.
You have to do this to have conversations. Otherwise you
get too limited a number of folks with answers. We don't want
everyone to get everyone from sales dudes like Fletcher :-)

I am interested in solutions, approaches, and ways to record
without constantly feeding gear lust. Some occasional feeding is
fine, that way I can lust for all the way cool Manley, Lawson, etc.
stuff that I can't justify affording.

Pat
Old 19th December 2002
Gear Addict

I don't know what you could do about it , but the place has been sort of hijacked. I'm really sick to death of the Studio Jimi show, but the tone set by MM in the diaries really encourages the wannabes to follow suit. Some of it was funny but it's getting really, really , really old now. I check in to see if if it's waning, but I sure don't stay long.
I figure the diary was bull**** from day one and has encouraged the site to fill up with bull****, it's too bad really.
Harvey of course has a cool section, but it doesn't fit with the rest of the recpit area of the site, which comes across as "jaded bull**** sctick". I don't think it encourages the type of poster who would be able to make the most use of Harveys undeniable gifts.
Your own section seems to be able to walk the tight rope between good info and the sctick much better than MM's, which it pains me to say is just a waste of time. Take care Logan
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
I can't really ask the question there, so I figured I'd ask it here. As for it being "slow" that's in heavy development to be corrected... I'm talking more about content, moderators, etc.

Are the Mixerman diaries distracting to the larger event?

Nope, they are a hoot. The commentary on them is well worth skipping.

Quote:
Have I let my forum get into too much 'personality mud slinging'?
Not that I have noticed, but I'm pretty selective about the threads I read.

Quote:
What about Brad Blackwood's or J. Hall's forum?
Brad is dealing in issues I'm not yet up to confronting. When I get something worth mastering, that nay change. J is worth reading, but seems mainly preocupied with his own stuff.

Quote:
Why don't more people take advantage of Nika and John Klett's knowledge?
I don't do DAW, so Nika isn't my bag. I can't really recall What John is about, so I assume that it wasn't up my alley either.

Quote:
I'm kinda the forum 'pit boss' over there... so you tell me, what can I do to make it a better resource for the community?
If there was some way of adding a twit filter function, that would be really great.

You didn't mention Harvey's forum, which seems to me to be the place where a lot more could happen. It's far more the spot for best ****** at this price point questions fit.

Also since you seem to have some influence on slipperman, could you encourage him to spend less time on the personal attacks, and more on the real info he has? There's getting to be much more signal there, but the noise is still very high.
Old 20th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Server mayhem when trying to register tonight

How about this when trying to register tonight. As much as I may think of myself after 2 beers I know for a fact that I can't cause this kind of mayhem all on my own:

Warning: LDAP: Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server in /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemberLib.php on line 40

Warning: LDAP: Unable to perform the search: Can't contact LDAP server in /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemberLib.php on line 41

Warning: ldap_get_entries(): supplied argument is not a valid ldap result resource in /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemberLib.php on line 42

Warning: LDAP: Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server in /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemSignUp.php on line 133

Warning: LDAP: add operation could not be completed. in /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemSignUp.php on line 191

Warning: LDAP: Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server in /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemSignUp.php on line 198

Warning: LDAP: Unable to perform the search: Can't contact LDAP server in /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemSignUp.php on line 199

Warning: ldap_get_entries(): supplied argument is not a valid ldap result resource in /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemSignUp.php on line 200

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemberLib.php:40) in /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemSignUp.php on line 248

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemberLib.php:40) in /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemSignUp.php on line 249

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemberLib.php:40) in /home/www/pswmembers/PSWMemSignUp.php on line 250
Old 23rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Re: So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"

Quote:
Originally posted by covert
You didn't mention Harvey's forum, which seems to me to be the place where a lot more could happen. It's far more the spot for best ****** at this price point questions fit.
Actually, I wish I didn't have as many questions about "best bang for the buck", since I don't have access to every piece of gear out there, and the testing is time consuming.

I'm hoping to get into more "real world" solutions to typical problems, using equipment people already own. It seems like a lot of people are into the "Throw more money and better gear at the problem" to make the problem go away. That's not always necessary. That how I got this "cheap mic guru" tag attached to my name.

Knowing when you need a great mic, and knowing when the "right mic" will do, is half the battle. I've said it before, and everbody that has ever worked in a studio has said it, "placement is everything". It's often more important than the mic choice.

But my stigma still hangs on, and the questions persists - "Harvey, what's the best X for Y dollars?". The honest answer should be, "How the **** should I know? I've never heard you or the stuff you're trying to do." But I don't think that answer helps anybody, so I don't say it very often.

Before I record a singer or a guitar player or a drummer, the first thing I do is have them sing or play live. As they're doing their thing, I actually listen to them. That's the only thing I use to determine which mics might be best for them.

Sometimes, I get it wrong, but usually, I can select a compatible mic pretty quickly. Maybe it's because I've learned what each mics characteristics are and then, it's just a matter of finding the best placement for that mic.

So, in the end, I'll live with the "cheap mic guru" label, but I wish people would read the big mic thread, where I never really talk about which specific brands to use, but instead, I go into a lot of detail about how choice and placement (of any mic) affects the final sound.
Old 23rd December 2002
Gear Maniac

Re: Re: Re: So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"

Quote:
Originally posted by Harvey Gerst

Sometimes, I get it wrong, but usually, I can select a compatible mic pretty quickly. Maybe it's because I've learned what each mics characteristics are and then, it's just a matter of finding the best placement for that mic.
That is a matter of your talent and good looks.
That is what you should be trying to explain to folks,
rather than answering the clueless question X for Y.

Quote:

So, in the end, I'll live with the "cheap mic guru" label, but I wish people would read the big mic thread, where I never really talk about which specific brands to use, but instead, I go into a lot of detail about how choice and placement (of any mic) affects the final sound.
I don't think folks will ever read long threads or even use a search engine. But you could post a nice article that
summarizes it, has backup, whatever on your website
and then say "read article X, it answers 97% of what you need.
Come back if you need more."

Over and over and over.

I know I tried to do the editorial legwork on that,
and got run out of town. I might still have the copy if someone
was interested.

The real answer is completely politically incorrect: You can't make million selling albums just because you buy the "correct" mic. get over it. Practice the craft.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search