The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"
Old 3rd December 2002
"Who does pay for this thing anyway?"

Gearslutz.com is my treat, it's my 'hobby' (along with eating out)

Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

Thanks for Gearslutz Jules . This is my favorite forum. Posters here seem to have good, fun, attitudes. Plus, there seem to be a large amount of knowledgable people here.
Old 3rd December 2002

Thank you Jules. I get the hint. The next 100 times we see each other, dinner is on me.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Well Jules, like a bad american movie reviewer would declare (altough truthfully in this case):

FIVE THUMBS UP FOR GEARSLUTZ!!!!
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by RSMITH123
This is how I see it as well. Too much spam. Not as informative as others although I still consider it valuable. Keep at it.
Didn't see at first how rought his was, sorry. I want to add that I am, on a daily basis, blown away with how people of high calibre spend their time on the forums helping us through the learning curve. People here, on PSW, DUC (don't hit me) and even Joe C.

Big thanks to you and others!
Old 3rd December 2002
Here for the gear

Rough crowd....

at the risk of sounding insensative...someone didnt like that PSW doesnt support aol browsers...while I venture the 'net doesnt like supporting aol browsers <g>...seriously though you can still use IE or Mozilla though you connect with aol....

I like MMs posts. Not only funny but insightful though not necessarily in the engineering sort of way. If they have digressed as others have pointed out then dont read them. Same goes for all of the babble surrounding them. Dont read them. That is one of the many great things about this format, you can edit your entertainment.

So Fletcher

I dont really think your forum has become a slug fest but if it has then I missed it because I just dont read something that doesnt interest me. I like your forum. Seems like you give equal attention to your forum and RAP. Just a gut observation.

I like Harvey's forum. He has kind of inherited the low budget audience because....well he has a low budget. He invites those who are to afraid to post on your forum ( or other forums for that matter). Harv is damn knowledgeable....and he should be, he's been around the block more than a few times.

I have combed MMs forum a bit for some mixing techniques and such but there is alot of chatter there....

Unfortunately, time only permits so many forums visits so I have to be selective ( for better or worse) and I have not visited the other forums on PSW.

I like the other content on the site...chats with Rupert and such. I would like to see more of that. Maybe a monthly gear review column...but I know that kinda stuff gets dicey...HEY how about you reviewing 5 or so of the items you sell (not to pimp them but because 1. they are of a quality that you support and 2. since you sell them you use/have used them). That would be cool and could go on for a long time (like you need more stuff to do!).

...just my thoughts

spoon
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Head

I spend time at Recpit, mainly at Brads forum cos he asked me to post there. I like Brad and his manner, BUT i find the forums slow, with far too much advertising and extra links down the side etc. and being on dial up I cant wait that long.

The VBulletin system is by far the most efficient forum manager, good choice Jules.

I agree that Flectcher and Brad should be invited here.

cheers
John
Old 3rd December 2002
With regards to those who keep saying 'if you don't like mixerman or slipperman, don't read them';
That was easier when Mixerman kept to his own forum. Unfortunately, lots of shrapnel from the diaries started turning up on Fletchers forum. He recently reared his head over here on the thread about 'what's up with digital'. Actually, I've got nothing against the guy. I find the stuff about 'my day in the studio with a crap drummer' boring.
As for slipperman, he just crops up all over the place on ProRec. I might be enjoying a bunch of emails about quad eight consoles or how to compress bass guitar and all of a sudden the next contribution is an illiterate diatribe of obscenities followed by a minor point that could have been made by a pre teen.
So! In the end it's easier to hang out at Gearslutz where everything is an interesting read, generally from an informed contributor.
I do miss Fletcher though.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by spoon
Rough crowd....

at the risk of sounding insensative...someone didnt like that PSW doesnt support aol browsers...while I venture the 'net doesnt like supporting aol browsers <g>...seriously though you can still use IE or Mozilla though you connect with aol....

I have NEVER had a problem with ANY other website out of the thousands I've visited, over close to ten years. I COULD use another browser, but that's just another program to clog up my hard-drive.

So what.. b/c I COULD use another browser, my point is somehow invalid?fuuck

I really don't think that not supporting a large segment of online users could be described as a good thing. It is something that makes prosoundweb inherently deficient. It amazes me how people bend over backwards to kiss ass sometimes
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

I still find the rec-pit amusing. I understand Slipperman. So shoot me. I have gravitated away from checking the MM forum and prefer to hang in the basement with J. Hall. I'm still a regular, but there were times I swore the whole thing off.

Thanks Jules. I'll send you some sushi via UPS if you'd like.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Jules . . if you need help keeping this place going. Let us know.
I'm sure there are many of us that would chip in to help you out.
Old 4th December 2002
"The VBulletin system is by far the most efficient forum manager, good choice Jules. "

Ashley, it was Meg Lee Chin's choice, she is Gearslutz webmistress and the tech brains behind the site. I am brainy too, 'cause I hired her!

Old 4th December 2002
Gear Addict

QUOTES:
"As for slipperman, he just crops up all over the place on ProRec. I might be enjoying a bunch of emails about quad eight consoles or how to compress bass guitar and all of a sudden the next contribution is an illiterate diatribe of obscenities followed by a minor point that could have been made by a pre teen."

"You, Fletcher...you need a respectable forum."

Benjy wrote:
Unfortunately that place has gotten out of control with some truly bizzare posts that are days long and have nothing to do with audio. I cannot take it any longer and just deleted it from favorites list so I won't even be tempted to go there....Mixerman documentary included. Too bad. It 'was' great.

Benjy
Old 4th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Thanks Jules (and Meg Lee) for making your "hobby" a great website.

Chris
Old 4th December 2002
member no 666

Thanks for the feedback... there has actually been some excellent discussion going on that has been generated by this thread. There is also a new server, and some new software... and frankly the thing is moving much smoother/faster than before.

I think some of the less "audio related" posts will be moved to the appropriate areas in the future.

All in all, I'd like to thank yoos guys for the advice... and Jules, this really is one hell of a cool forum/site. If you need any assistance with it, please feel free to let me know.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

Perhaps that accounts for the overall vibe of civility. Good on ya, Jules.

-R
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Old 4th December 2002
Thanks for the moderation break in the first place Fletcher! (back at RO)
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

While John Klett may not be a frequent visitor, I've found that what he does post is always an enlightening read. I've picked up more good info on that forum than anywhere else on the web. It may be less of a chat room, more of a class room type of place, but the content is tough to pick-up anywhere other than haningin at a heavy hitter's tech bench. Kudos.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

I agree about Klett's forum . . . . if you go there now, it is all info and no bull****. It's great to see that.

Geez, you go to the other forums over there and most of them are nonsense (at least right now). Fun is fun and it's great to have some fun, but it is a bit ridiculous over there these days. Gearslutz, at least is a place you can get info and try to help out by giving some info . . . . as well as some entertainment.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Yea, what they said...

I have lurked on PSW for a while, posted on occasion. Love the diaries but don't like the noise that came with them. Was surprised when you posted/hosted Lance, I thought you would try to contain the madness to MM's forum.

Harvey's forum - .

Interviews -

Your ability to be a gear pimp and remain objective and informative without trying to make a sale every post -
Old 5th December 2002
Gear Guru

I just went over to PSW after browsing here. The new graphics look ten times better than the site used to. Even if it looks a little "OSX" it still beats the **** out of that orange and white crap!
Old 5th December 2002
There is only one

Re: So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"

Are the Mixerman diaries distracting to the larger event?

what larger event? they were entertaining for the first couple weeks... but there is much better fiction out there which is far more enlightening to the brain. the diaries are more like sitcom tv... just a waste of brainspace.

Have I let my forum get into too much 'personality mud slinging'?

dunno.... been a while since i have been there.

What about Brad Blackwood's or J. Hall's forum?

i post at J's forum... never go to brads, i dunno... not interesting to me.

Why don't more people take advantage of Nika and John Klett's knowledge?

because nika is an accountant. i dont ****ing care about the technical basis behind conversion or digital technology.... i just use my ears and do what i do. recording is an artform and nika has no place in that world. does 96khz matter? im gearing up right now and will do my first album with it next week.... i will just listen and find out.... plus, i feel like im wasting what my monitors can do cutting the information off at 24khz when they go up to 35khz. i could really give a **** less about "papers".... unless alice has been laid on them.

i think gearslutz is the best place going right now. coolest posters... although if the "word" gets out too much and attracts the wrong people, it could start sucking too.
Old 6th December 2002
Gear Nut

So whaddaya like, or hate about "PSW's recpit"

It's been kinda like Lenny Kravitz lately.

Lotsa style, less substance.
Old 6th December 2002
I just dropped over to Fletch's for the first time in ages........
Some guy is so sick of the poor sound quality of his PT Mix+ and Apogee he wants to replace them with a Ghost or TAC Scorpion console.
Another guy hates The Eagles so much he is unable to accept that some of the production was good or that Henley is a good drummer.
Then someone said The Pistols were better than The Eagles and it was handbags at dawn.
Stop the insanity!!!!
Old 7th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Another guy hates The Eagles so much he is unable to accept that some of the production was good or that Henley is a good drummer.
So it is possible to gild a turd, then? Can't stand the Eagles. It's kinda like Faulkner's assesment of Hemingway, talent that is dicked away isn't of much consequence.

Bear
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
I just dropped over to Fletch's for the first time in ages........
Some guy is so sick of the poor sound quality of his PT Mix+ and Apogee he wants to replace them with a Ghost or TAC Scorpion console.
Yeah, I stopped in and saw that yesterday. Do you think that's just a joke or something?
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Head

Wellll.......

Fletcher,

Since you asked,

On the whole, I believe the PSW forums are a great resource as they seem to cater to almost ANYBODY in some way from DIY'ers to Project guys to Serious Pros.

Random Thoughts:

I will admit I dont get the Mixerman thing....his diary, his identity secrecy or his forum. The diary was cool but has taken on a life of its own and sounds more like a bad "reality TV" show for audio peeps. The forum....that place is hateful and has nothing to do with audio or being professional. IMHO its a joke as an audio forum....if it werent billed as such, I might feel differently towards the attitudes expressed. Pretend yourself a newcomer and read the first page on any given day....what did you walk away with....maybe a couple of new insults and jabs, one or two real question but all answered with insults and jabs. Dont get me wrong...I can jab with the best of them but childishness is where I draw the line and thats what is encouraged there, it seems....even by the moderator himself.

I like J.Hall and his forum. I wish it were busier but I believe his forum lacks the drama and general BS and most people gravitate to the spots that provide this for them. There are some interesting discussions happening there.

I like John's and Brad's columns though I admit they're out of my league...I still read it and pick up whatever general wisdom I can.

You cant fault anything having to do with Harvey....he's way above that...it's why he has earned the title, "The Pope". I believe EVERYONE loves Harvey.

I dont know what I think about Nikas thing. I have learned some good things there but all in all, I just like to record. Tech stuff is nice to a point but......well.....the ears have it in the end.

I like your forum most of the time.....there are some jabs but they can be quite funny and the posts will most often remain informative and generally continue to have SOMETHING to do with audio all of the time.

A lot of people try DAMNED hard to "be down" with you and MM. Sometimes it's embarrassing to read....either kissing up or trying to take on bits of your personalities. I'd guess you know that though.

I guess I participate more at TapeOp cuz i like the vibe and while I dont post often here, I lurk and learn...also a cool vibe and the people are pleasant.

These are all opinions...take them as they are.

heylow
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

There goes the neighborhood...
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Someone please school me on this slipperman thing.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search