The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Strangest thing you ever ate Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd December 2002
Dave! Have you eaten dog too?

Was it a hot dig-a-dee dawg? or just a Mexican road side taco stand dogburger deluxe?

I got your CD today BTW. Thanks! (listening soon)

EveAnna, where did you eat dog? Korea? It is regarded as a 'special treat' meal there. Were you treated then? (Not for rabies! For the MEAL....!)

heh
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Maniac

a 5" diameter purple ringer.

ummm... that was another life though. I don't do that <hick> anymore <arggh>
Old 3rd December 2002

Hi Jules,
I ate dog in Beijing when I was there in August. It was kind of a mission to see what was the strangest stuff I could eat. I made that clear to my hosts when I was there that I was up to try anything.

Here's a picture of the restaurant in which I consumed dog prepared in mongolian Hot Pot. I do remember a rat running in the joint while we were eating... typical Hutong experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Strangest thing you ever ate-dogrestaurant.jpg  
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Snouts, penises, labia, ears, toes, bones, eyes, anuses, esauphagai, brains, spleens, stomachs, gizzards, guts, all of chickens, cows, pigs etc.

I've eaten several cans of pet food in my life.

The raunchiest and filthiest thing I've ever consumed was this thing called a "hot dog". I consider it the pinnacle of culinary foulitude.,

The thing with the most disgusting taste I ever had was fermented soybean sushi. It was some rice, seaweed, and soybeans in this myconic slime of bacterial waste. The fungus taste was putrid, rancid, foul, and terrible. Imagine vomiting in a bucket for a year, adding homemade yeast, a pound mildew, and warming gently for a few months. Reduce to 1/100th and serve.

For beverages, it may not be too strange, but I usually have my quickie-mart coffee with about 6 bags of tea. Caffiene overload just kind of makes me calm.

The strangest food I ate was probably some type of seitan (wheat gleuten) in Boston Chinatown. It had the texture of a soft rubber gasket.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

I ate a chunk of glass once in an 4 star Indian restaurant on the Upper East Side. I would rather eat that then dog.
Old 3rd December 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Dave! Have you eaten dog too?

Was it a hot dig-a-dee dawg? or just a Mexican road side taco stand dogburger deluxe?

heh
It was in Tamales, and I didn't know that when I ate them.

My hometown was 'dry', that is, alchohol couldn't be sold publicly (the bars were all 'private clubs'; $5 for a membership card and you were a member; the legal theory was that the bartenders were simply serving the members' own hooch to them.). The nearest liquor stores were north of town; one sold beer and wine and the other sold distilled spirits.

Anyway, the road that the stores were on dead-ended into cross streets, and there were always trucks selling tamales (and watermelons in the summer). When you're already pretty lit and hungry, tamales are fabulous. I probably ate those tamales once or twice a week for 6 months befopre the health depatment shut them down for using dog meat in the tamales. In fact, the proprieters ended up doing a little time in the county jail because they were rounding up strays or stealing them - the were busted for theft and cruelty to animals.

But they were good tamales.

I don't get to eat cabrito (baby goat) these days unless I'm in Texas - they don't seem to sell it in Tennessee.
Old 3rd December 2002
I am partial to goat, me and NYC Drew here share a passion for Curry Goat, Carribean stylee! With 'rice and pea' (note: silent 'S' on peas)

Asside from Gearslutz, food & eating out is my hobby!

Old 3rd December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Snouts, penises, labia, ears, toes, bones, eyes, anuses, esauphagai, brains, spleens, stomachs, gizzards, guts, all of chickens, cows, pigs etc.

I've eaten several cans of pet food in my life.

The raunchiest and filthiest thing I've ever consumed was this thing called a "hot dog". I consider it the pinnacle of culinary foulitude.,
That's funny, I thought most hot dogs were little more than the processed amalgam of the "parts" on your list. Of course, the worst part of a hot dog isn't the meat, but the chemicals used to keep it "fresh", "colorful", and "tasty".

Bad pet food (wait... is that food for bad pets?) often consists of similar elements, including horse meat.

Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

I ate some of these little dogs that they breed specifically for eating in Mexico. They look kind of like rotiserrie chickens do. They tasted more like boar meet than goat. I imagine that there must be a wide variety in the taste of dog meat.

I don't know what's the weirdest; racoon, opossum, rattlesnake, capybera (giant south american rat/beaver like creature), sea urchin (really thought it sucked), insects... I don't know what's the weirdest; I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out!
-GT3
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Kendrix

Raw Octopus ( this was absolutely the worst)
Wow!!! Octopus sashimi is absolutely one of my favorite things to eat!!! Different strokes i guess.
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Head

I live high up in the rainforest and I'm currently eyeing off this Bush Turkey that has decided to come for food every evening.

The aborigines tell me that they are very tastey and I'm considering having a Bush Turkey Xmas. There's also a couple of goannas hanging around that might make it to the table also.

Cheers
John

The bush turkey looks like this
Attached Images
Strangest thing you ever ate-bushturkey.jpg 
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

I forgot that i ate Pork brains in milk on a college dare. The fastest 50 bucks I've come across.

Pizzle anyone?
Old 4th December 2002
Moderator emeritus

Hey I forgot about schmaltz - at a restaurant in Germany, we were told that it was wonderful on crackers and bread. The first bite let me know that it was pure 100% lard... We were told that salt and pepper improves the taste, so I tried it - salted lard.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

This isn't that wild, but I've had Buffalo tongue and Elk heart. I have some friends that own a ranch up in Montana, and they kind of eat whatever they can kill. I was up there one time and they wanted me to try something they said was "delicious". That was the buffalo tongue and it was actually pretty good, until they told me the buffalo had died 10 years before and had been frozen since. They owned the buffalo and it had gotten hit by a car when it wandered onto the highway, so they cut it up and froze it.

They had killed the elk during the hunting season, and the heart was proudly presented to me for breakfast one morning. It's the kind of household where you eat what is put on your plate, finish it, and don't complain. If you don't finish your food it will show up on your plate at the next meal.

I guess what made all this a little wild for me was that I had been a strict vegetarian for over 20 years when I made that trip to Montana. They took great pride in "busting" my vegetarianism, and they had a lot of fun doing it. My digestive tract was a complete mess for about a week after that visit, and I am no longer a vegetarian. :-)
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

I haven't had meat in 20 something years. 1979 actually. I was doing Beatlemania and was a Lennon nut. I remember reading that Lennon was fasting on spirulina (frikkin' sea algae) and water . . . . so I gave it a shot.
I did feel great during that fast . . . . Now, I eat imported Indain glass instead.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

i've had elk, buffalo, rattlesnake, alligator, cabrito and menudo...nothing too adventurous.

i really loved the old-style boudain that i don't think anyone makes anymore...those cajons got the good stuff fo shou.

and nothing like a french quarter lucky dog to top off a night of barhopping...it always seems like a good idea at 4am...hell to pay come sun-up...

now that i'm a semi-vegi, the most exotic thing i eat is a double-double burger from in and out...yummity goodness.heh
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

YOU ate Menudo?
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
YOU ate Menudo?
yea, if you get 'em right before puberty they're not that bad...
Old 4th December 2002
no ssl yet
I'm from New Orleans and wouldn't touch a Lucky dog in the french quarter

(have you seen how filthy the people serving them are?)

Eating a hot dog that comes from an dirty old man on a pissy street (no drains in the quarter on Bourbon Street) is not something I'd want to do
Old 4th December 2002
One with big hooves

Wow, I just read all of these posts. I was gonna say guacamole but now I dunno. I'm not one for trying new foods unless I'm forced to. I have a friend who wants to take me out for Indian food and I told her there's no way I'm going unless she gets me in the car and says "**** you, we're going". I had eggs on a burger once too though that probably doesn't count for much. Hmm... gotta be something else, ummm... fried calamari doesn't count because it's way too normal. ****, I'll think of something.

Ahhh, I got it! I've heard a few times that the average person swallows 8-12 bugs per year while sleeping. That's better then a hot dog isn't it?
Old 4th December 2002

I woke up one night extremely surprised that a goddamn earwig was trying to crawl into my ear! :eek:

Time for bed now. Lemme go find him...
Old 4th December 2002
A cheap holiday for working class families in London during the 40s & 50's was to all go 'hopping'. It was a working holiday for the whole family where they would get out to the countryside, pick hops (for beer) all day and get free lodging, food & Beer at night. It got the family out of town and into the fresh air and cost - nothing. I think they were even picked up from London and dropped off at the end of the holiday.

Trouble was, bedding was often a blanket thrown over straw, and earwigs lived in the straw.. They also liked a nice warm earwig sized hole to sleep in, like a child's EAR. I am told it was quite a regular occasion for a screaming child freaking out because an earwig was in its ear canal, to be be grabbed, held firmly and have half an onion held against it's head...

Earwigs (like me) HATE raw onion!

The onion smell would cause the earwig to come streaking out of it's hiding place...

Old 4th December 2002
One with big hooves

I like onion's and garlic. Usually I can't get enough of them but in the last 6 months or so lot's of onion starts to bug me and I can't get the taste out of mouth so that's a bit of a drag.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
I woke up one night extremely surprised that a goddamn earwig was trying to crawl into my ear! :eek:

Time for bed now. Lemme go find him...
earwigs just creep me out.... foul nasty little bugs that smell horrible when squished...and they CAN pinch too.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Wild game party. There was duck, boar, deer, elk, snake, pheasant, quail, ... I'm not much of a meat eater but I had to participate. Almost cracked a tooth on some buckshot in the quail.

Weirdest food was my grandmother's chicken. She would cook it then freeze it. All her food tasted like her freezer.

Had 'gator, can be good depending on how it is cooked. Clam and squid sashimi, yuck, never again.

The Stinking Rose is great. Been there a few times. Go with a date because you will not get one after.
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Addict

A couple other people have mentioned it, but i think uni (raw sea urchin) is some pretty strange stuff! I eat it whenever i can. I think the strangest thing I ever ate was also at a sushi place: deep fried eel backbones. Very tasty, actually. Crunchy.

Not that weird, but I'll also mention tomale, which is green goo found inside lobsters. A taste i am still in the process of acquiring...

Tripe and beef tendons tie for the grossest weird food i've eaten, both in a bowl of vietnamese soup called pho.

Props to EveAnna for the most entrertaining off-topic thread i've seen in a while!
Old 4th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Isn't that green gunk inside a lobster also known as lobster bile?

If so, you have everyone else beat for most putrid thing you've eaten!
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

Actually a lot of the big pet companies (purina, 9 lives) have been caught putting dead pets into pet food. For real. Search google if you disbelieve.

I've also eaten fried insects, live cockroaches (accidental; I was eating some pasta and there was this thing with a wierd texture that wouldn't disintegrate with chewing. I spat it out and it was a roach. tough shells!), 3 cups of vinegar in a sitting (I puked).

Oh, I also ate that green lobster gunk before too. And fish brains, eyes, chicken anuses, pig and cow brains.
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah, i read an article about that in the Wall Sreet Journal. They get most of the dead animals from "humane societies."
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

not real weird, but in South America in Peru, on a business trip, our "vegetarian" host ordered us cow heart without us knowing. Very good, just not reccommended in foreign countries...as for some reason when I got back (may not have been related) I had a 104-105 fever with symptoms similar to malaria. And if you want good medical care in LA, come back with some foreign disease and they'll flock around you, you won't have to wait a minute.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search