The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best and Worst Pro Audio manufacturers Websites Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 2nd December 2002

No problem Jasper. All is well. Thank you for your post.

Knox: Remember Fletcher is the one in a suit and I'm the one in a dress.

(Though we're all usually wearing pro audio swag and biker boots in real life... right?)

George, of course, is in a tux.
Old 2nd December 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
[B]Knox: Remember Fletcher is the one in a suit and I'm the one in a dress. B]
I was also badly in need of sunscreen... don't you have like 'photoshop' or something?
Old 2nd December 2002

Only Photoshop SPF 6.0.............

Got any Visine?
Old 2nd December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
Halfway through loading the site, my browser crashed! I had to do a force-quit, and re-opened Explorer...and got another crash message! I had to reboot and trash the web cache, for the first time since I installed OS 9.2.2 three months ago. Nathan...??? Can you have a word with your webmaster pleez?
Sorry about the problems, first time I had ever heard this from anyone...I guess one crash out of a total of 500,000 total unique hits across all of 200+ of our pages isn't too bad (stats like winning the lottery!!). If you could send me the error code that the crash generated, I would be happy to look into it and see if it's an actual problem on our end. We don't have any flash or Java, just a lot of gif's and jpg's and html text.
Old 2nd December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Harvey Gerst and Bob Buentempo deserve a special mention too.
They have been extremely helpful with all posters great and small,
both at their forums at prosoundweb and elsewhere.

Just curious...
Why do think the "traffic" is so small at www.artistpro.com ?
Like a good movie that doesn't do that well at the boxoffice,
they've got a great cast (Joe Chicarelli, et al) yet not as much of
an audience as you'd expect they deserve.

Been learning a lot mining the search engine at recaudio.pro lately,
that's a great resource IMHO.
Love the pin-ups at Mercenary BTW.

Chris

P.S. What IS the best mic pre/LD condenser microphone/effects unit/compressor
for under $200?
Old 2nd December 2002
One with big hooves

First, Jack's site man... wow... uhh.... Next!

A good site is something that loads quick and doesn't have a lot of bull**** Flash junk on it. I hate going to a website and waiting forever for things to load, you can see the gerbil spinning the wheel but nothings happening. Then, I need to download some new plug-in just so I can get some information. That blows. Sites that are hard to negotiate also suck. I like nice big buttons and links rather then hidden stuff. Having to scroll all around to see pictures bugs me, so do frames if they aren't well implemented.

On a manufacturers site a list of dealers with at least a retail price sheet is a must-have. Case in point, a few weeks ago I was trying to find a dealer for Groove Tubes mics and camp up empty. Well, there is Banjo Depot but they only carry two models and I didn't want either of them so I emailed Midiman. The response I got was to try Scam Cash so I went in and asked the department manager about GT mics and he told me "Go to guitars, they have the tubes over by the pedals." Yeah, uh-huh. Mics man, mic-ro-phones, ya know, like you sing into them and put them in front of drums and stuff? "GT makes mics? When did they start doing that?" That kind of **** is really annoying and happens more often then I'd like.
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chessparov
[B
that's a great resource IMHO.
Love the pin-ups at Mercenary BTW.

Chris

P.S. What IS the best mic pre/LD condenser microphone/effects unit/compressor
for under $200? [/B]
A paper cone with a needle duct taped to it on a peice of vinyl. Or perhaps someone's voice mail.
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Nut

Hey lay off of Ortman people!!!

All of you monkeys with your fancy "TelOfunkens" wouldn't be laughing so hard if you knew the truth about Jack.

This isn't just his mission statement... It's where all true knowledge begins and ends.
Quote:
Because I know so much abot recording, I am an expert for selling audio gear. I could be recording songs but I give all my experiennce to you.I am a dealer for many HI END audio companies. I know all that you need to get the BEST QUALITY and HIGEST BIT RATIOS! Do not be fooled by big music stores. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF! Trust me for all your studio and club needs..
Forget what you've been taught and open your hearts to a prophet of these end times
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 1nation
Hey lay off of Ortman people!!!

Forget what you've been taught and open your hearts to a prophet of these end times
Jack Ortman, the Louis Farakahn of audio.
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Jack Ortman, the Louis Farakahn of audio.
LOL! Thanks for making me snarf my green tea all over my keyboard!
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Popular? I could care less what's popular, but that isn't worth arguing.

... All you'd have to do is double click IE once AOL is fired up... pretty simple.

I mention IE because it seemed you might not be aware you can have another browser open while AOL handles only the internet connection, and IE does it all faster and more easily than AOL anyway.
Nah, I'm well aware that you can use another browser, but thanks for trying to help outyuktyy

I was merely pointing out that this makes prosoundweb sucky, for me. I mean, I've gone to thousands of websites over the years and had ZERO problems. It's weird to me that an entire website would be made in a way that's incompatible with AOL. And that they're too wrapped up in their little world to even care!!fuuck
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Addict

I found MOTU's site very helpful. A good balance between the necessary marketing hype-speak and actual detailed info about the products. And we always like good pictures of gear.
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

Universal Audio is one of my favorite websites. It's super clean, easy to get around in, and is simple. Joy!
Old 2nd December 2002
Oh folks? Can I suggest a trip to my website? (It has a Pro Audio Sales section)

Click on the book that says "Audio Sales"

Be sure to have the volume up & you need Flash 5 (minimum) installed

Oh, and dont be swallowing a drink while checking it out if I were you!

http://www.librarystudio.com

Meg the Gearslutz web mistress (who did my website) is open for web work BTW! - [email protected]

Old 3rd December 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
I would HATE to see Fletcher in a dress . . . .
Well now that the gut's grown back in, I'd hate to see me in a dress too... but a few years ago when I didn't look like I was in my second trimester... I went to a friends "curious dress" party in drag... didn't even shave my legs, but did use enough makeup to squelch the beard.

Some butthead yuppie hit on me the entire evening!! I let him put his arm around me and lead me around the room... but then he suggested we go back to "his place", when I asked him if he could take my entire dick and balls in his mouth without gagging... the evening was cut short.

Ya know, it's these stereotypes that get in the way... I mean you change the washer on a faucet, it doens't make you a plumber... you change a light switch in the den, it doesn't make you an electrician... but I guess the brother thought that if you just suck one dick..............
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Head

ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!! Christ, I'm laughing so hard that I nearly gagged!

Obviously the guy wasn't an audio geek, or he would have simply said "yes" and then hit you up for cost on a Cranesong Spider.

While we're on the subject of drag, how about an EveAnna look-alike contest at the upcoming NAMM show? Closest to the real thing gets a free SLAM... just make sure your existing "front-end gear" is well-hidden!
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
I don't know if it's a "best" or "worst"... but it certainly had me halfway to tears.... Jack Ortman Audio
Tears...I had to change my shorts, or iz tht shrtz....

Great find Fletcher..
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
This isn't about the gear or the companies. Just the website design and content.
Good Web site design is not as easy as most people think. Just like many inexperienced home studio owners soon realize it is not about the gear or the tools. Unfortunately now days anyone with Frontpage thinks they are a web site designer. I call these the "brother-in-law" web sites.

Web design is a lot like creating a software application, the site has to be easy to navigate yet include enough information to make it useful. A site should make use of graphics as a way to communicate information, not just provide eye candy.

When a manufacturer has a lot of products, creating a balance between an easy to use navigation system and providing detail technical information is not an easy task.

The rule of thumb is your users should not be more than 3 clicks away from the information they want to get to. The navigation should be intuitive and NOT force the visitor to guess what some goofy icon represents.

The most important thing a manufacturer should remember is that the sole purpose of the site is to communicate useful information about your product or company.

If you want to know how good a job you have done on your site, get your brother, wife, grandmother, someone who knows nothing about what you do to use your site. Ask them to try to find a specific product. If they can't figure it out then you have failed.

Lee
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

www.geocities.com/jackortmanaudio

he deserves the hits ....... heh heh heh
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Addict

QUOTE:
I'm not sure it's a 'Pro Audio' site, but Pro Sound Web is absolutely the slowest loading site I've ever seen, with a signal to noise ratio even higher than rec.audio.pro. If it weren't for the Mixerman saga, I wouldn't look at it at all.
Unfortunately that place has gotten out of control with some truly bizzare posts that are days long and have nothing to do with audio. I cannot take it any longer and just deleted it from favorites list so I won't even be tempted to go there....Mixerman documentary included. Too bad. It 'was' great.

I really, really ****ing H-A-T-E when I do a google search, say....'Pete Townsend Signature SG Special'. Here are all of these sites that come up. When you go to them and do a search they don't have it. This happens to me A LOT! I'm looking for an RCA BK-5. I do a search...this store, that vintage place, even e-bay come up. So, you click on it - go there - do a search...."sorry, no items matching, blah, balh...." Makes me nuts.
Benjy
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

An example of a great web site in my opinion is www.rane.com. For a few reasons:

1. The URL reflects the exact name of the product and is easy to remember.

2. The site loads very quickly on a 56k modem connection.

3. The site is very easy to navigate. There are several different ways to get around the site. All links are clearly indicated in the first "page" of the site, meaning that you don't have to scroll down to navigate the site.

4. Rane has included a ton of useful info on their site, going far beyond a product list and tech support for their products.

5. Contact information is very easy to find. Both phone and email is provided.

For me, the Rane site is one of the best all time, even though it doesn't have a lot of fancy graphics.

Another feature any good web site has is that the meta tags are properly done, as this allows pages to be found easily in search engines.

I think there really are three types of web sites: good, bad, and good sites that don't work, which makes them bad. An example of the latter is the D&R site, which doesn't work on some browsers.

Another type of potentially good site that doesn't work (for me) are the ones with heavy graphic content that take forever to load on a modem connection. I can always tell when the designer of a site was working exclusively on a fast connection and never checked load times on a modem. This is a mistake to make with companies that are trying to sell products, as I, and I'm sure many others, will quickly dump the site and move on if it takes too long to load. A good example of this kind of site is the Aguilar site. A nice looking site that takes forever to load, and there are no "skip intro" links to dump out of the load. Bad.

When I'm looking at pro audio product sites I'm looking for information, not glitzy graphics. Sure, a professional looking site represents the company well and conveys a sense of their values. But a sloppy broken site or a site that insults visitors with huge load times makes looking for information slow and therefore goes against it's own purpose, in my opinion.

In deference to this months' guest moderators, I would like to say the the Mercenary site is easy to navigate, especially now with the pull down menus on the home page. The two menu's make it even faster, as the visitor can search by manufacturer or product type. It's a really good site for getting around quickly on, and has a nice balance of graphics to text IMHO. Well done, I enjoy visiting!

The Manley site seems a bit jumbled to me on the main page, but overall is easy for me to get around on. There are an awful lot of links per page on the main product pages, which require a lot of scrolling down to get to items of interest. I wish it was set up somehow so that the text links came up more quickly and I didn't have to scroll as much. (of course, that's because you have so many great products!) As it is now, the links further down the page have to wait for a lot of graphics to load before they appear, creating a bit of a wait for me on my 56k modem. The Flash part of the site is nice in that the visitor can get a good close up look at the gear, but other than that I haven't found it particularily useful. I hate to think of the time and/or money that went into creating that portion of the site. Again, this is just my opinion, but a well designed plain 'ol html page is going to do a lot more for me than all that flash stuff. I'd rather see a photo of gear than an artist's rendering anyway. My only request is for bigger pictures of the great Manley gear! It's a nice site.
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Nut

I don't like the soundelux website! That sidebar takes up way too much space and becuase of it I have to scroll to read the end of sentences. It's very uninformative too.

The RME site used to suck, but it's much nicer now. Looks pretty slick too.
Old 4th December 2002

Hi Albert,
Thanks for a great post.

I agree the RANE site is fabulous and they have some wonderful reference material on it.

Last month I got a request to put up BIG pictures of our gear and I did. When you are on the individual product page if you click on the picture you will get a new window with the BIG photo. (It's a new window so if you have a slow modem you can keep reading stuff on the main page until it loads.) There are also text links for that "See Bigger Picture Here" and also text links for all the gear links. If you have your browser set for "load text first" then you don't have to wait for the pretty pix to come up. Also plenty of ALT-tags so you don't have to wait...

I do try to keep 'em small, but admittedly we do have a buncha pix on the site. People in general do like pretty pictures, I think.

The Flash part, yeah, well I had that done years ago in the spirit of "maybe this will be the future of all the internet" but I agree totally that good ol' html loading up as fast as possible is the way to go. I have no more patience than you do, but I do have DSL!
yuktyy
Thanks for your constructive comments.
Old 4th December 2002
Snip-aaaage...

LOS ANGELES (Dec. 03, 2002) -- Westlake Audio has redesigned its Web site to provide a more comprehensive and easy-to-use source of information about the multi-faceted company. One goal of the new site, www.westlakeaudio.com, was to more effectively link Westlake’s sales, recording, manufacturing and technical branches.

“The new site is now very uniform,” says Steve Burdick, Vice President of Recording Services at Westlake. “It links everything much more smoothly and logically than before. This is an extremely easy site to navigate and the result is a richer overall online experience for our clients, and even potential clients.”
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

EveAnna,

I checked out your site just now, and it seemed to load really fast tonight! The pictures did load quickly and you do indeed have the tags meticulously done. The big pictures are *great*. I do find big pictures helpful because it's possible to clearly see how the unit is layed out and how easy or difficult it may be to use.

There's a great book titled "Type & Layout", by Colin Wheildon. It's about how to use typography and design to get your message across. The book is geared toward print advertising, but the principles can easily be applied to practically any medium, including web page layout. I find the book to be fascinating and quite helpful.

I created my own site before reading the book, and there is much I'm going to fix in the next version. Html coding makes a rather interesting hobby, in a quiet sort of way.

And yeah, I've been thinking about going DSL for quite some time now. Probably worth it to save all that downloading time.

Albert
Old 4th December 2002

Smile

Excellent! Thank you for the book suggestion.

I am often g u i l t y of using too many fonts.

rollz
Old 4th December 2002
One with big hooves

I always preferred the KISS principle. I use one font but different sizes which can be a drag. Overall I think my site is decent and I've gotten good feedback on it. But, it took me a few years to figure out what the hell I was doing. Now I'm just lazy about updating it. I painted the live room I don't know how long ago and I still haven't put the new pictures up.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Perhaps I should contact Jack Ortman. He is in the Bay Area and and obviously a professional.

This kind of site really gets my panties in a bunch. Korg USA They are trying too much and navagation is a hastle. Add to that a pop up, and I hate going there.

dfegad http://www.korg.com/
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Jack Ortman...

Ok, I know I'm late. When I first read Fletchers post, I didn't really think it had potential so I stopped at the header page.

After the comments here I went and looked while eating lunch at my desk and nearly blew chicke fajita out of my nose. ASAMOF, I had to meditate just to answer ther phone.

If you havn't seen it, it is a must see.:eek: heh
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Another of the worst, as in slowest, is Unicornation. The MOTU forums. Takes forever to load.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search