The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Unusual behind the scenes stuff Fletcher & EveAnna have witnessed?
Old 12th December 2002
Unusual behind the scenes stuff Fletcher & EveAnna have witnessed?

Fletcher & EveAnna, I have heard all sorts of stories of wild stuff taking place behind the scenes on recording sessions, but somehow I have a feeling the pair of you have seen WAY more than I have!

To make it easy for ya, we can stick to the technically wild!

No names required..

Anyone else is welcome to chip in with weird tech / setups they have used, seen or heard of..

Old 12th December 2002
Here for the gear

Got one, not so much weird as challenging. It was my first real studio, but small, very small and 4 track. I started it for my tunes and jingles, and small road group demos like lounge lizard stuff for people.

I get a call from a local band, members I knew but have not seen in a couple years. On session day, it was after dark, and I heard this racket in the drive. Looking out I saw the biggest U-Hall truck ever seen. So big it tore down the phone lines in the street. Roadies crawling in and out planting mic stands in the yard like a Xmas tree farm, then came monster Marshalls, keyboards, road cases, boxes of cables, and instruments galore. Huge drum kit, and a grandaddy B3 with large whirly. The contact said; “here it is use what ya need”.

Well, at the time I was using a A&H mini mixer ordered right from England, ahead of it’s time that one, but only 6 channels. The first thing to do was to get everyone situated. I mapped out a track plan going full tilt on a 2 bus for the main backing tracks, drums, bass, keys, fill guitars, tracks 1 and 3. Coming back for track two, vocals, and track four, solos, leads and horns.

Then I had to place everyone. Most of the group was in the main sound room, the B3 was upstairs in the living room. I distributed headphone feeds to all, and it was time to set-up mics. Got the drums with 2 OH, BD, SN, 2 more on rack n floor toms, that did the mini. I broke out a Shure stereo mixer for bass, guitars, and one fill keyboard =4 more in’s. The out’s from the Shure patched into the stereo returns on the mini. There was some bleed in the main room, but the drums were so dominant that the close miced amps, and direct instruments were not affected.

A few rehearsals and settings, and we were off. I had no idea that I could even organize something like this amid the confusion. The backer tracks turned out great, full, tight and punchy. After we got the 4 backing tunes’ tracks down, I had the roadies pack-up and remove everything we didn’t need anymore. We finished up the other tracks with killer results. I didn’t know I had it in me. I survived, the group was happy, and so was I. Normaling the system, reconnecting the verb, we mixed some great sounds onto 2 track.
Hey, this is the stuff you go through from time to time, eh?
--LTL
Old 12th December 2002
member no 666

Wild scenes? Are you talking like hookers and drugs and wild excesses... or just general incompetence and goofy artist stories?
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Wild scenes? Are you talking like hookers and drugs and wild excesses... or just general incompetence and goofy artist stories?
No, UNUSUAL , not day to day stories...
Old 12th December 2002
Gear Nut

I would like to hear about "hookers and drugs and wild excesses"
Old 12th December 2002
Mainly the extremes that folks have gone technically to achive stuff on recordings..

I wouldn't expect to get the real rock n roll anecdotes outa ya without sitting up at a bar with ya! (like we were this time last year in fact!)

Here's mud in your eye!

Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Man I got a zillion stories, but . . . . personally, I liked the REALLY pretty girl that used to come in . . . . drink too much (the second she got to the studio) and sing these horrible (to me), emotional (to her), love songs that she wrote . . . . naked.

I made sure we spent EXTRA time getting everything JUST RIGHT!
Sometime it would take many hours!
*smile*
Old 12th December 2002

Fletcher and I have a pact not to talk about any late night behind-the-scenes adventures that we have been on together that involve guns, jacuzzis, or possums.
tut tut tut
Old 12th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
Fletcher and I have a pact not to talk about any late night behind-the-scenes adventures that we have been on together that involve guns, jacuzzis, or possums.
tut tut tut
u mean Opposums?
Like a Massive Opassive
Old 12th December 2002
Here for the gear

LOL!! That's the spirit!

--LTL
Old 13th December 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
tut tut tut

Absolutely... while EveAnna is now the proud owner of her world... it could very easily cost me half fuuck [oh the intrigue...]
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search