The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VoxBox vs. V72/1176
Old 7th December 2002
Lives for gear

VoxBox vs. V72/1176

When the big box came i was enamered.... For a while... Then I listened really carefully and found I almost always liked the V72/1176 combo better,
depending on the source.
EveAnna.. first, Thanks for producing gear that puts the best of the vintage stuff to the ultimate test...
With that said,1) How do you conduct your A/B listening tests?
2)Why are we so in love with this old ****?
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

3) why is your stuff so expensive? (flashy faceplates?)
Old 9th December 2002

Quote:
1) How do you conduct your A/B listening tests?
When doing comparitive A/B listening we often use purpose built switch boxes and also always make sure to match the levels exactly because as we know "louder is better"... We listen on several different systems at the factory, at my house, and in mastering room buddies in LA. Both Hutch and I have good "aural memories" as in able to remember the sound or feeling from a certain piece of gear, sometimes for many many years so sometimes other listening tests are not done in a live A/B comparitive manner. Then we beta test and send early gear out to certain pals who will be able to make the thing work in a real life situation. Pals who are capable of listening critically and describing what they hear back to us for further changes if need be.

The Voxbox doesn't remotely resemble a V72/1176 in the least bit. We did not compare a Voxbox to that V72/1176 combo because we were not trying to beat that, or become that. If you like the V72/1176 combo better for your uses, then you do.
Quote:
2)Why are we so in love with this old ****?
Because a lot of old **** is fabulous stuff?
Quote:
3) why is your stuff so expensive? (flashy faceplates?)
Because it is.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Mike Tholen:
why is your stuff so expensive? (flashy faceplates?)
Mike,

The high-quality labor of experts is expensive; then quality ingredients add to that cost.

If a box is expensive, it's (certainly in the case of Manley) because a lot of expert labor went into the careful assembly of high-quality ingredients.

You can:
1) Enjoy the money well-spent on that cuisine,
2) Save $$$ by cooking at home, or
3) Save even more $$$ by eating at McDonalds (but bear in mind: you are what you eat).

I've had to grapple with this issue in the culinary field, with comments like, "I could buy that steak for $5.99 at Acme, and you're charging $28.50 for it!"

Correct, but I'm paying rent on prime real estate for my dining room, my kitchens, walk-in refrigerators etc, as well as salaries for:
1) The purchasing guy who accepts delivery of the merchandise and inspects it for quality,
2) the butcher who cuts it into palatable portions and at consistent portion sizes,
3) the garde mangér cook who preps the vegetable parts of the dish,
4) the line cook who makes the mash potatoes,
5) the sauciér who makes the sauce
6) the sauté cook who works the line and assembles the dishes hot to order,
7) the süs chef who organizes and leads all of those people and runs the kitchen's minute-by-minute operation,
8) the dishwashers, who are the most important guys in the whole operation because if their station goes down, the whole operation grinds to a halt,
9) the executive chef, the highly paid star of the show who spends most of his time in planning and accounting and rarely goes near a burner or a hot pot, and probably has book deals, licensing deals and TV appearances competing for his time,
10) the waiters, busboys, bartenders, barbacks, cashiers, hostesses, coatcheck girls, floor managers, valet parking attendants, overnight cleaners,
11) plus all of the sub-contracted staff such as plumbers, electricians, dish machine maintainence...
12) the business, accounting, legal and PR staff

All of that is what you're paying for in a $28.50 steak.

That's what Manley does in audio gear.

Or you could go to Radio Shack (McDonalds) instead. Or something in between, like Alesis for example (TGIF). Up to you. It's a free country.
Old 9th December 2002
Gear Addict

Curve,
If you knew what Mike thought of Manley gear , you would have saved yourself from typing that reponse.
Old 9th December 2002
member no 666

Yeah... Mike is one of those people that isn't a Manley Labs fan... but until he's used a SLAM! and a Massive Passive... I humbly submit that he's talking out of the side of his ass... after he's done a gig or two with a Massive and a SLAM, if he still feels like dissing the **** it'll hold a whole lot more weight than it does now [FWIW, on some of the other Manley Labs product, we actually share a very similar opinion... but on those two units, the M-P and the SaLAM!... they're too ****ing good to be lumped in with the prior releases... as always, YMMV].
Old 11th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curve Dominant
Mike,

The high-quality labor of experts is expensive; then quality ingredients add to that cost.

If a box is expensive, it's (certainly in the case of Manley) because a lot of expert labor went into the careful assembly of high-quality ingredients.

You can:
1) Enjoy the money well-spent on that cuisine,
2) Save $$$ by cooking at home, or
3) Save even more $$$ by eating at McDonalds (but bear in mind: you are what you eat).

I've had to grapple with this issue in the culinary field, with comments like, "I could buy that steak for $5.99 at Acme, and you're charging $28.50 for it!"

Correct, but I'm paying rent on prime real estate for my dining room, my kitchens, walk-in refrigerators etc, as well as salaries for:
1) The purchasing guy who accepts delivery of the merchandise and inspects it for quality,
2) the butcher who cuts it into palatable portions and at consistent portion sizes,
3) the garde mangér cook who preps the vegetable parts of the dish,
4) the line cook who makes the mash potatoes,
5) the sauciér who makes the sauce
6) the sauté cook who works the line and assembles the dishes hot to order,
7) the süs chef who organizes and leads all of those people and runs the kitchen's minute-by-minute operation,
8) the dishwashers, who are the most important guys in the whole operation because if their station goes down, the whole operation grinds to a halt,
9) the executive chef, the highly paid star of the show who spends most of his time in planning and accounting and rarely goes near a burner or a hot pot, and probably has book deals, licensing deals and TV appearances competing for his time,
10) the waiters, busboys, bartenders, barbacks, cashiers, hostesses, coatcheck girls, floor managers, valet parking attendants, overnight cleaners,
11) plus all of the sub-contracted staff such as plumbers, electricians, dish machine maintainence...
12) the business, accounting, legal and PR staff

All of that is what you're paying for in a $28.50 steak.

That's what Manley does in audio gear.

Or you could go to Radio Shack (McDonalds) instead. Or something in between, like Alesis for example (TGIF). Up to you. It's a free country.
yeah but if the steak tastes like **** then what's the point?

I'll give the slam/passive thing a shot.
I like to get more color/character from my gear than what the manley stuff does.
Mike
Old 11th December 2002

Gee Mike, that's the nicest thing you have said about my gear in such a long time. You're alright..... today.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search