The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So what's the right way to vacuum a JH-24 power supply?
Old 4th December 2002
One with big hooves

So what's the right way to vacuum a JH-24 power supply?

Fletcher, I've been reading that you say to clean 'em out once a month. What's the right way to do that? Normally I just use the bristle attachment and clean the tops, bottoms and fans but somethings telling me I should pop the tops off and suck all the goo off the boards inside them.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Heck, Bud Wyatt used to take suspect power supplies to the do-it-yourself car wash and power spray them (water only...no soap).

Then he'd dry them off in the oven. The first time he did that to the P.S. on my Trident Series 80, I freaked. Worked fine, though.

So I say, "Vacuums are for sissies".

Regards,
Brian T
Old 4th December 2002
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
Heck, Bud Wyatt used to take suspect power supplies to the do-it-yourself car wash and power spray them (water only...no soap).

Then he'd dry them off in the oven. The first time he did that to the P.S. on my Trident Series 80, I freaked. Worked fine, though.

So I say, "Vacuums are for sissies".

Regards,
Brian T

Awesome!

Maybe not once a month, but once a year sounds very cool.

Then you can periodically vacuum and/or use compressed air without feeling like a sissy and stuff. heh
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
posted by Brian:
Ya know, at all the restaurants I've worked at, I always used those high-powered spray attachments in the kitchen sinks while thinking, "Dag, I've got to get one of these installed in my studio kitchen."

Yet another reason why every good studio should have a well-equipped kitchen!
Old 4th December 2002
member no 666

Jay, when I had my JH-24 I would shut down the machine, disconnect the supplies, pull the lids and vacuum the insides... I'd also take a clean paint brush to the places where I couldn't get the end of the vacuum hose and remove as much of the dust as possible.

The big one is to remove the dust from the power transistors... but a good general cleaning is never a bad thing.

Done on a regular basis, it really takes 99.995% of the "unreliability issues" out of the machine.
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Head

My techo put four modules from my MCI 500 under the tap when some bimbo spilled rum'n coke down the console. Then hit them with a hair drier. Worked fine.

cheers
JOhn
Old 6th December 2002
Lives for gear

When I worked for John Hardy, we always washed the solder flux from the completed boards under the tap. I wouldn't put a transformer under water though. Rusty coils...yikes.
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear