Old 2nd December 2002

Caffeine, Nicotine, Sugar, Grease...

The famous Mercenary shirt sez that we have

Four Food Groups of Recording:
Caffeine
Nicotine
Sugar
Grease

I tried Fletcher's Beer Diet but it hasn't been working for me. It seems our line of work isn't too healthy. Many of us sit all day pushing faders, rolling the mouse, or tapping at a keyboard.

What do you folks do to stay in shape? How do eat those chocolate muffins everyday? Time out for excercise? Hollywood Miracle Diet?
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

I guess we could put on those electrode muscle stimulators while we work. Or not.

Now where's my donut?grggt
Old 2nd December 2002
Walking around markets 'people watching' on weekends
Try to walk up escalators on the tube (subway)
Er... that's it!

I wanna buy a bike and cycle in the local park.

Bike & IPod... mmmm good!
Old 2nd December 2002
One with big hooves

I don't drink that much but I do drink often. Does that count? I have a glass of OJ every morning and I don't smoke either so I guess I'm a little ahead of the game. I don't eat that often either, usually two meals a day which probably isn't that healthy. For exercise I take the first parking spot I can find even if it's way the fuck away from the enterance to whatever building I'm going in and I try to hop on the exercise bike a few times a week. Also, ever notice how engineers are usually either really skinny or really fat? Hmmm...

Here's the bigger problem though, how do you get around the studio tan in the summer? Last year I had a goth band making fun of me because I was paler then they were in August. So, this year I actually went to a tanning salon once or twice a week and I actually looked semi-healthy.
Old 2nd December 2002
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Head

Four years ago, I lost about 50 pounds doing teh Atkins diet, which contrary to popular belief, does involve eating plenty of veggies as well as meat.

To leep it off, I try and do a half-hour of cardio four times a week. I don't always succeed, but that's the plan, anyway. I also try to eat intentionally, not stuffing food in my mouth just because it's there. This can take some willpower, especially when it's midnight and the client has ordered a pizza.

Now if I could just get away from all the empty calories in Bombay Sapphire...
Old 2nd December 2002

Atkins sounds like the best because you only *have to* eliminate one of Fletcher's Four Food Groups: sugar (carbs)

And caffeine... uhhhgggghhh.

Thanks for the inspiration. Good job on yas.
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

I run 2 miles every other day (for speed not distance)

On the days in between, I do muscle strength training (for endurance not bulk)

I try to limit my fat intake to 20 grams a day (sometimes this is difficult)

Balanced diets are best (none of those crazy "protein only" things). I rarely drink soda's. Drink LOTS of water.

I do have a weakness for coffee....and I "splurge" once a week with my food of choice (hamburger, pizza, Indian, whatever)

Cigars are for special occasions...otherwise I don't smoke.

Limit alcohol intake. Another of my weaknesses.....I just love good Gin and good Bourbon.

Moderation is the key. Plus, I just feel so much better when I get to work out.
Although my day job isn't behind faders...it IS behind a computer...So I completely understand the "posterior spread".

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I get tested for physical readiness twice a year....so it is mandatory that I stay in reasonable shape.

At 24 it wasn't a big deal.....at 34, I really feel it if I don't keep up with the program.

Cheers
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Maniac

You guys are all wrong. It's Pabst Blue Ribbon all the way.

Forget the eating and all that other pretentous crap. Just juice baby.

Plus if you've got one of those 'groupie back up vocalist' that're bigger in the 'tits' department than the 'talent' department... booze is ALWAYS the perfect remedy to get those magical tracks!
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Nut

i try to have a fresh juice or smoothy to help "detox" from all the good coffee, cigarettes and beer i so enjoy

also me and the ole lady try to go for a bike ride a few times a week on our schwinn sting rays (the closest thing we can afford to "real bikes", and it is people powered!)

now i must get some more caffine......
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

As far as beer goes, Guinness (draft) is the best beer for calorie ratio out there. Actually less calories than Bud Light. In addition, there's not as much alcohol in Guinness as many other beers have.

A major help in those overnight sessions combines two of the Fletcher's Four Food Groups (FFFG from now on). That wonderful fuel would be the chocolate covered espresso bean. Just do 'em a couple at a time.

Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TinderArts
A major help in those overnight sessions combines two of the Fletcher's Four Food Groups (FFFG from now on). That wonderful fuel would be the chocolate covered espresso bean. Just do 'em a couple at a time.

Man those things are awesome, but easy to overdose on.

Me, I just gave up, I don't stay fit.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

1) 2 glasses of OJ every morning
2) 6 beers every night
3) regular bike rides through Fairmount Park
4) chinups & whatnot at the local playground
5) stomach crunches and pushups at the studio
6) no sweets
7) no drugs

42" chest, 32" waist.

YMMV.
Old 3rd December 2002
Here for the gear

Well, every now and then I have a few pots of cuban coffee, (Bustelo). It seems to set your clock up an hour or so.

The studio is one floor below the control room, and I like to stand while I work.

A long walk for a lite lunch 3 times a week helps a little , and We have a 3 year old that makes us play too.

I smoke and should quit. But all this activity has helped me loose 30 pounds in the last year.

--Hee hee

P.S. This is important, ahh I forgot the ahh romps with my wife.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Caffeine, Nicotine, Sugar, Grease...

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
What do you folks do to stay in shape? How do eat those chocolate muffins everyday? Time out for excercise? Hollywood Miracle Diet?
I started going to the gymn again a couple of weeks ago. Was about time too. Playing snooker wasn't exactly improving my condition. heh
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Head

right on Kamurah - everything in moderation!

except caffiene (my company only provides VERY BAD coffee so i'm to the point of bringing my own beans and my own french press to make it drinkable).

5 small meals a day.

plus weight lifting and running 15-25 miles a week - throw in a marathon every year or so for good measure!

works for me.

-a-
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Addict

Re: Caffeine, Nicotine, Sugar, Grease...

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
The famous Mercenary shirt sez that we have

There is only one way....

Your lifestyle must change, there are no magic bullets. DIET & EXERCISE is the only way.

I eat 5 small meals a day, usually around 300-400 calories each. Lot's of water, 3-4 litres a day, I rarely drink anything else. Meals should be high protien, reduced carbs. I didn't totally cut out the carbs because you need them for energy.

I lost 100lbs in about a year, at 6'2" I weighed in at 300lbs, I am now lean and mean at around 200lbs. I started walking every day, about 3-4 miles at a good pace (15 minute mile), did this for about 6 months and then started resistance training.

My current regiment consists of about 1 hour a day, six days a week. 3 days (Mon, Wed, Fri) resistance training and 30 minutes of cardio (usually walking on the treadmill). The other three days are cerdio only. I'll do an hour of cardio on these days, outside if it's nice or in the gym if it's snowy, rainy or otherwise shitty outside. Sunday is cheat day, I can eat anything I want and watch NFL football all day, woo hooo!!!

I did end up using some supplements which I think speed up the process. I used Xenadrine-RFA which is an Ephedrin, Asprin and Caffine mix. Ephedrin isn't for everyone and can cause serious heart problems, so be careful. There's also some Ephedrin free supplements such as Xenadrine-EFX which aren't as effective but can help. http://www.sportsupplementwarehouse.com/weigloscut.html

Pick up a copy of Body For Life it helped me to get started. I'm glad I did, I feel 300% better.

Mark
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveFortner
Four years ago, I lost about 50 pounds doing teh Atkins diet, which contrary to popular belief, does involve eating plenty of veggies as well as meat.

Now if I could just get away from all the empty calories in Bombay Sapphire...
That seems to be the gotcha with any diet - all the calories in booze! Are there a lot of calories in vodka?

Probably the only thing keeping me close to fit is that I have a dog, who needs two long walks a day. It's good cause it forces me to get out of the studio and see what's going on in the world...
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Krispy Kreme Cream filled doughnuts!
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

Try NOT to rent a cart next time you play 18 holes... Golf is great fun/sport and a great exercise that mixes well with beer/liquor/smoke...

or you could always try out Tony Little's Gazelle... you can have a great low impact workout while clicking the remote, listening to music, and/or eating a sandwich.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

I'm lucky, I have a small frame and a metabolism that keeps me lean so I don't need anything too radical: eating a relatively balanced and varied diet, not much booze, doing 95% of my errands by foot or bike. I also rock/ice climb as much as I can. Walking up and down abrupt talus field carrying 30-50% of your body weight on your back while approaching/descending works wonder for burning fat. (Which I whish I had sometimes! )
The actual climbing in between also helps although it can often be more of a brain workout...
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Head

keep that up for more than ten years and you'll be a cert for serious knee/hip problems.

I garden a steep slope and eat what I like.

cheers
john
Old 4th December 2002
Gear Head

I agree with you - running is a real high - all those endorphins.

cheers
JOhn
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear