The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cloudlight Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 13th June 2018
Gear interested

Cloudlight

Cloudlight was the song that introduced me to your music. I still marvel at its construction, it is remarkable. Can you tell me anything about its composition. The synths you used for the undulating gliding bass or any other part of it? the drum and percussion samples? How was it composed? When did you decide to have a vocal on it? Did it change much during creation, did it take a long time, what parts were easy to complete and what aspects took longer? Really just interested in any stories in regards to it.

View most liked answer
Old 27th June 2018
special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicandstuff View Post
Cloudlight was the song that introduced me to your music. I still marvel at its construction, it is remarkable. Can you tell me anything about its composition. The synths you used for the undulating gliding bass or any other part of it? the drum and percussion samples? How was it composed? When did you decide to have a vocal on it? Did it change much during creation, did it take a long time, what parts were easy to complete and what aspects took longer? Really just interested in any stories in regards to it.
Thanks, I liked making that one. I just looked, the synths were Predator, Massive and Absynth for different parts. The drums were a combination of just samples and then field recordings i took layered on top. In 2008/09 I had started to mess with that big wet crunchy snare thing and so by the time I did this album I was putting variations of that sort of thing on everything. I couldn't help myself. I tried my best to make something that sounded earthy and celestial / trippy at the same time.

It was made in logic. I was getting tired of putting out vinyl singles w labels and focusing on dance oriented structures and intentionally went back to more of my roots in terms of just wanting to make songs. What came out on that album is sort of a mixture of those. Electronic production and being mindful of frequencies and sound systems but also playing w song structures. That was when I decided to put vocals on it. I wanted to say more and give it a feeling of being human.

Looks like I only have a couple versions saved of it and it didn't really change. I don't think it took a long time, but honestly I can't remember. My feeling is that it flowed though, flowed right out. It was all pretty easy to be honest. The toughest part was actually allowing myself to stand tall with that piece and say "this is who I am" at the time.

That album was a chunk of music where I sort of shifted into another lane. I know in the music industry it's not wise, but screw that. It's always good to follow where the inspiration takes you. That doesn't mean release everything you make, but still follow it.
Mentioned Products
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search