The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Organizing a live set Dynamic Microphones
Old 10th June 2018
Lives for gear

Organizing a live set

Thanks for being here–really impressive body of work!

For live sets, can you give some insight how you organize? If you're playing 10 tracks, how do you arrange in your DAW–all in one project or multiple laptops to open sets as you go, a few stems or a stereo track per song with a couple live tracks open etc.?

Also which DAW is your current choice for performance and is it the same as production/composing?

Thanks!
Old 13th June 2018
special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydeluxe View Post
Thanks for being here–really impressive body of work!

For live sets, can you give some insight how you organize? If you're playing 10 tracks, how do you arrange in your DAW–all in one project or multiple laptops to open sets as you go, a few stems or a stereo track per song with a couple live tracks open etc.?

Also which DAW is your current choice for performance and is it the same as production/composing?

Thanks!
For composing / working on my own stuff I primarily use Logic. First was a Roland JX 305, then a triton, then cool edit pro, then fruity loops, then reason and then logic.

For live stuff I use Ableton and sometimes for some audio stretching or loop mangling I’ll use it in the studio, but it’s mainly for live shows.

For a few tours I was using two laptops, one running Ableton and another running VDMX for the visuals. I would send midi CC data from Ableton to VDMX to trigger visuals and clips that would correspond to certain Ableton clips and midi triggers. But normally I’ve been just using one laptop running Ableton.

The last round of shows was this setup:
Mic - Telefunken M80
Tons of random percussive things I would find before each show’s venue or festival around sound check
Laptop running Ableton
Notation remote 25 (went through 4 of these things over the years)
Maschine
Alexis sample pad pro
iPad running touch osc

I make live versions of my tracks as I mentioned in another thread. These are essentially the foundation of the track imported in as a hi res file that’s been adjusted for the tune you hear on an album to fit for a live scenario.

I never got in the habit of having tracks mainly built around individual loops as I found that would force the live set to turn either super choppy and ADD for me or potentially be hard to make a right turn out of nowhere if I wanted to. Prob totally just my own brain but that’s what happened. So I would put all these fairly full tracks on channels 1 + 2 in Ableton. All tempo locked. Channel 3 would be drum loops. 4, 5, 6 and 7 would be various field recordings or vocal snippets or individual hits and cymbals.

I sing, loop my vocals, tweak them out and also play lots of percussive stuff live, either via the mix or the drum pads, which gets looped and tweaked out as well. Every clip has multiple midi CC controls set. I have a main iPad template that I built for touch osc that controls all this as well. This would leave tons of room to go off on tangents while looping particular sections of the tracks.

An ok example of all this stuff you can see in that npr video. I still kick myself today because Bob Boilen wanted me to play his Emmy, which was on the desk under a hat, and loop it. But I got caught up in the moment and forgot. Prob my only time I’ll be able to bang on an Emmy w a stick by request.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search