The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Songwriting
Old 10th June 2018
Songwriting

Hi Eskmo

How much of your songwriting is informed by freedom/constraints of performing it live? Do you do "studio" songs where you know it won't/can't be performed live or is everything composed in the spirit of live performance and production?

Thanks!

24dB
Old 12th June 2018
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB View Post
Hi Eskmo

How much of your songwriting is informed by freedom/constraints of performing it live? Do you do "studio" songs where you know it won't/can't be performed live or is everything composed in the spirit of live performance and production?

Thanks!

24dB
I’m the most happy when I don’t worry about live stuff while writing. It used to make me go crazy worrying about that too much because it’s a very particular frequency and dynamic range your have to adhere to and compete with (to a degree). I wouldn’t say thats the smartest route, but it’s just what I’ve experienced over the years. That’s not to say I don’t care how it feels in the world. I want to make things that sound like they are alive in the room, sparkling and crackling, but that’s a different part of my brain than the live set. Hope that makes sense?

My process is usually to just make the songs I want to make and put those on the albums. Then, even though it takes a lot more work, I open each session up and create a “live” version of it. I’ll expand certain parts, thin or thicken some things out, make some things double time or half, exaggerate some parts or make some heavier and then often times have this new version mastered just for me if it needs a little love. I’ll then bring those files into Ableton and chop them around and get ready for the live sets. (I use Logic to write and Ableton for live stuff).
Old 12th June 2018
Thanks man, very enlightening!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search