The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sound Design process
Old 10th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Sound Design process

Hi Eskmo, I'm a big fan of your work and especially your sound design. I was wondering if you could discuss your approach to sound design. Do you separate your sound design sessions from your composing sessions or are you creating sounds as part of your composition process?

Has your approach to sound design changed now that you are working on more television shows which demand a faster turn around to completion as opposed to creating an album like "Sol". If so what are some of the things you've found help you achieve sounds you are happy with in a timely manner.
Old 12th June 2018
Special Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchillak View Post
Hi Eskmo, I'm a big fan of your work and especially your sound design. I was wondering if you could discuss your approach to sound design. Do you separate your sound design sessions from your composing sessions or are you creating sounds as part of your composition process?
I’m creating sounds as I’m composing too but in a different way from working on my own stuff. With composing, at least for me, I can’t spend 2 hours on a trippy hi hat, like I might with my normal stuff, so I focus on the most important threads and sounds that are needed for the cue.

For my normal music, I’ll do tons of field recording but for composiunbg I haven’t found the time or need to do it really. Often times, the results I get from my field recordings would compete with dialog. So for original sounds, you end up just recording stuff in the studio, or tweaking out sounds before you work on the project or towards the beginning, so you have a world to grab from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchillak View Post
Has your approach to sound design changed now that you are working on more television shows which demand a faster turn around to completion as opposed to creating an album like "Sol". If so what are some of the things you've found help you achieve sounds you are happy with in a timely manner.
Yes definitely shifted for the shows, like I mentioned above. In terms of finding stuff fast, it’s mostly about getting out of my own way. Not being precious helps. Most importantly time management and focusing on what is most important for the cue has been a gradually learning for me. I’ll focus on what the scene actually needs as opposed to trying to cram in some cool idea I have. I’d say that little learning process happens almost every episode.

I’ll come up with a cool idea for a cue but have to make peace with the fact that it doesn’t belong there. I will save this for later and see if I can work it into another one, and often times with some finessing and love it magically fits perfectly for other stuff. Sometimes not.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search