The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Scoring Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 8th June 2018
Scoring

Hey Eskmo! Thanks for doing this.

I was wondering if you could please talk through the process of doing TV scores... your stuff is really atmospheric and still interesting to listen to on its own too which for me is the hallmark of good music.

How long does it take to finish a typical episode? Do you sit in and spot with directors/producers ahead of time once you get going or do they let you get on with it with a set of notes in hand?

What are your favourite tools at the moment?

What's the most difficult part of the process?

Thanks in advance!
Old 9th June 2018
special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Hey Eskmo! Thanks for doing this.

I was wondering if you could please talk through the process of doing TV scores... your stuff is really atmospheric and still interesting to listen to on its own too which for me is the hallmark of good music.

How long does it take to finish a typical episode? Do you sit in and spot with directors/producers ahead of time once you get going or do they let you get on with it with a set of notes in hand?
Many thanks.

A typical in episode in TV varies depending on the series from what I can tell. I only have these two shows, Billions and 13 Reasons Why, to do my best guess, and they are both different.

13RY has an episode due every week while I'm working on it. The process is I go to the team in their offices, sit with the showrunner, producer, and rest of the audio team. We all watch that particular episode and spot it. Often my music is in there as temp while sometimes not. I go from that meeting with a good sense of what the episode needs and what the showrunner is hoping to achieve w the episode. I then go to my studio and work on it for a handful of days, starting sending stuff when its ready, and then get notes back on if its good and cleared or needs a revision. Normally I have 1 week from spotting to delivery per episode.

Billions mixes every two weeks while sometimes every week or sometimes 2.5. This whole team is in NYC and we actually don't normally do spottings for this. For each season I will fly to NYC, vibe with everyone and get a flow going. Each episode is sent to me, I spoke w the music editor about what they have heard w regards to direction and I just go for it.

Quote:
What are your favourite tools at the moment?
I work on Amphion two18's. They sit in front of a nice soundproofed window overlooking trees. That's part of what I love in here.

For scoring, things that are effective, quick and creative are best and sort of needed. I use tons of kontakt, diva, razor, serum, keyscape, some roli among others. For my own stuff I'm mega excited about this new rack unit I got called the Modular Channel from Overstayer. Also I have gotten a few pedals from Chase Bliss recently that I love.

Quote:
What's the most difficult part of the process?
I imagine you mean in terms of scoring right? I'd say the biggest challenge I've learned is about getting out of my own way. Learning to let go of a cue because you need to. There is never a time where you could tell a studio or showrunner / director that you weren't able to come up with something. It's just not an option. So part of this is letting the flow happen. You can't spend 4 hours on a hi hat, which I can do for my own stuff.

When something isn't approved, not taking it personal is a challenge sometimes. Because sometimes I may feel like I'm right, and a cue is spot on, but it's not your project so you have to go with the flow. Although I will say many many times, a showrunner asks for something to change, and I make it better. Even though I don't want to admit it, they are often right.

hope this helps
B
Old 9th June 2018
Deleted User
@eskmo12345,

Love your work. The theme to Billions is so short and minimalist, but that pad has such a dark, ominous vibe to it which really sets the tone for the show.

Kudos!
Old 11th June 2018
Thanks so much! Appreciate the detailed answer - keep up the superb work!
Old 12th June 2018
special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluther View Post
@eskmo12345,

Love your work. The theme to Billions is so short and minimalist, but that pad has such a dark, ominous vibe to it which really sets the tone for the show.

Kudos!
Thx!
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Hello @Eskmo

Thank you for doing this with us here at GS. Billions is one of my favorite show and i'm watching now season 3 (watched already 1 & 2) and indeed, I've always asked myself who was Eskmo. And here we are.

I must agree that the Theme and the music in Billions isn't big scoring/orchestra etc... but the minimalistic yet sometimes a Pad that is tweaked with the right intensity filled with some LFO and so forth just does the JOB in the very unique way and the beauty part of it is that it gets the viewer and that means you've achieved what was needed to keep the viewer interested and captivated.
Getting into TV show score, your work inspires.

Thank you again and wishing you more TV series show to come ;-)

Best,
Old 13th June 2018
special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Hello @Eskmo

Thank you for doing this with us here at GS. Billions is one of my favorite show and i'm watching now season 3 (watched already 1 & 2) and indeed, I've always asked myself who was Eskmo. And here we are.

I must agree that the Theme and the music in Billions isn't big scoring/orchestra etc... but the minimalistic yet sometimes a Pad that is tweaked with the right intensity filled with some LFO and so forth just does the JOB in the very unique way and the beauty part of it is that it gets the viewer and that means you've achieved what was needed to keep the viewer interested and captivated.
Getting into TV show score, your work inspires.

Thank you again and wishing you more TV series show to come ;-)

Best,
Thank you Solar
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search