The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
5 more questions!
Old 22nd March 2016
Here for the gear
Post 5 more questions!

Why aren't there more questions?! I'm totally going to take advantage of the lack of questions by throwing you a ton! I've listened to you for a long time now and DA/GC for a little while now but just found out about Kamera. Awesome sounds are coming out of Phantasy can't wait to see what additional artists come out.

Question 1: She's drawn to conclusions the diagram girl could kiss it away. (awesome track btw!) Where do we find lyrics for artists on Phantasy including BTWS? Hannah Peel did all vocals (male/vocal) on Diagram Girl if I remember reading correctly? What was that process like and is it something you do often?

Question 2: We've had a few threads on here about Daniel Avery/Ghost Culture from Phantasy and the 'sound' that is common on both albums. I'm pretty sure we've narrowed it down but was hoping you could get us some more insight into how the sound was crafted and how much of the sound takes place at your north studio in London. The Korg Mono/Poly seems to be the answer with how the sound was crafted. Based on pictures it looked like a doepfer dark time was used to sequence the mono/poly. Any more information you could provide to enlighten us?

Question 2/3: With a synth that has a crazy filter jumping around constantly like many of the things on Drone logic. How do you go about controlling it and is it something you do in multiple takes and adjust volume on the synth during each piece change or is it some type of hardware compressor?

Question 4: Do most of the Phantasy artists record out of the north studio in London or is it all over the place? How much of Phantasy sound is based on the awesome gear you have available in that studio and in your opinion what sets your studio apart from others?

Question 5: How hard is it managing both a label and yourself as an artist? Do you find that now you're exposed to even more opportunities to get to hear/collaborate with artist because of the label?

I'm sure i'll think of more questions but appreciate you doing this! Freaking awesome dude!
Old 30th March 2016
Special Guest

OK, here goes:

Q1: Yes, Hannah did sing all the vocals on that track.. She provided other vocals on the record and at the 11th hour we asked if she could do one more session with us. Originally, the verses were to be sung by a man and the chorus parts by a woman. I had demoed it already in the same vocal range, and still wanted something similar but without me on the record, as I have no ambitions to be seen as a singer.. Anyway, Hannah came down, I played her the demo and wrote down the words, I sped the track up by 15 or 18bpm and measured her vocal tone with mine, so essentially her slowed down vocal would match my range and tone. She then put down a couple of takes, recorded the chorus in normal pitch and it was done. btw correct lyric is: "She's drawn to a conclusion, the diagram girl can't kiss it away, She's drawing to a conclusion, the diagram girl can't kiss it away"

Q2:Yeah, you are right.. I answered this in another thread.. But essentially the creative chain of James/Dan and I are quite effective and we reach results pretty fast

Q3: I say don't try and control it. Just balance it so it sounds exciting musically and then just record it in with a nice pre amp and a touch of compression. If its jumping around too much then it maybe a musical problem rather then a dynamic one?

Q4: it varies to be honest. Not everything goes through there, and less so at the moment as I've been working on the BTWS album. But ideally the studio is a stepping stone for artists to be able to get their own thing going later down the line. I feel my studio has serious limitations but that works in its favour.. We mixed the record with Steve Dub (he mixes The Chemical Brothers, so he knows his thing) and he loved the studio, which was really nice to hear.. A mastering engineer once commented that some of my mixes coming out my studio were far better than mixes coming out of ***** (i won't name names) Studios which costs about £1k a day to use, so it just goes to show its not so much the studio..

Q5: Its not easy, but when its right its rewarding.. Thankfully the label is growing and we have a good team behind it, so my work can stay focused on the musical side..

Hope this helps

E
Old 30th March 2016
Here for the gear
Like a boss! You answered every question. Thanks man!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search