The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Your go-to mic?
Old 18th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Your go-to mic?

Hey Mr. Alkan

Considering the vast amount of mics out there old and new. What would you say is the one that you are more likely to choose first for any application... and you know it will deliver?

Thanks
Old 20th March 2016
Special Guest

Hey
I love my Audiotechnica 4040, that gets used a lot.. And I bought an old Sony which belonged to John Entwistle from the Who which I use on male voices which sounds good.. Other then that its whatever is in the studio, we loved the Lomo on Sam Eastgate (Late Of The Pier) and the Shure SM7 on Blaine from the Mystery Jets.. I always favour an inverted Yamaha NS10 cone with a RE-20 on kicks, and then use whatever else is around on the other elements of a drum kit. I also try to find the worst mic in the studio and have that on the snare as well, and mix a bit of that in alongside a SM 57 and whatever else we use on that drum. We once wired up a dictaphone as a room mic which was great.. I'm happy to have limitations and be as creative as possible.

As a side, I think its always worth to collect a few crap mics to use alongside great ones, you never know what you'll get
Old 30th March 2016
Mind Blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by EROL_ALKAN View Post
Hey
I love my Audiotechnica 4040, that gets used a lot.. And I bought an old Sony which belonged to John Entwistle from the Who which I use on male voices which sounds good.. Other then that its whatever is in the studio, we loved the Lomo on Sam Eastgate (Late Of The Pier) and the Shure SM7 on Blaine from the Mystery Jets.. I always favour an inverted NS10 cone with a RE-20 on kicks, and then use whatever else is around on the other elements of a drum kit. I also try to find the worst mic in the studio and have that on the snare as well, and mix a bit of that in alongside a SM 57 and whatever else we use on that drum. We once wired up a dictaphone as a room mic which was great.. I'm happy to have limitations and be as creative as possible.

As a side, I think its always worth to collect a few crap mics to use alongside great ones, you never know what you'll get
Inverted NS10 cone w/ a RE-20... That's a trip! Thanks for helping us expand our minds on using creative approaches to record. That was really a big mind opener to countless possibilities to experiment with.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search