The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Desert island kit
Old 17th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Desert island kit

Hey Erol, always a joy to check your mixes, you and Daniel Avery very much remind me of Weatherall in sound and attitude towards what you play.

Anyway, given the quite aggressive sound you play out and also produce, and this is Gearslutz, have you got some surefire desert island kit you turn to to get the sound you do?
Old 18th March 2016
Special Guest

Hi!

OK, Synth wise I am a big fan of the Juno 6, MS20 (I have the new one which I think is great) and my Roland SH1 which I use more for altering sounds via the audio in and envelope. I prefer Logic 10 over anything else and get by with the native plug ins, if I want something a little quirky I aim to get it into the computer that way rather then fiddling with plug ins. I find that these decisions are the most important aspect of production.

I built my own compressor which I use on every master bus mix I do, its basically a supercharged SSL clone with a width module to check clocking and whats being lost in the mono register. I also have a tube tech valve compressor which I put across drums if I need to cook it all a little more. I'm a huge fan of cheap 80s Efektron boxes, they sounds like **** but in a good way. You used to be able to pick them up for £50 a while back but I think people have got wise now.. Everything goes through a Chandler Mini Mixer which I think is worth every penny. I have a Trident Fleximix which is mainly being used for pre amping these days, although I may go back to it.. I mixed my Connan Moccasin rework through that and it has that sound, something dusty and dream like, if you push it in the right way..

If I had space I'd bring the DP4 as it was some great effects on there... Also my AKAI MPX16 (I think its called that) sampler which is really basic but has a magic to it.. Oh, and my Schlumberger EQs as they sound quite API-ish and do some pretty excellent things across the master..
Old 19th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Thanks Erol, that's really informative and mostly unexpected too, especially the home built compressor and getting stuff in to the DAW in that way first. Would have hazard a guess at the MS20 and an SH though! Chances of a cheap DP4 post-Daft Punk and now from your recommendation are ever slimmer too...

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EROL_ALKAN View Post
Hi!

OK, Synth wise I am a big fan of the Juno 6, MS20 (I have the new one which I think is great) and my Roland SH1 which I use more for altering sounds via the audio in and envelope. I prefer Logic 10 over anything else and get by with the native plug ins, if I want something a little quirky I aim to get it into the computer that way rather then fiddling with plug ins. I find that these decisions are the most important aspect of production.

I built my own compressor which I use on every master bus mix I do, its basically a supercharged SSL clone with a width module to check clocking and whats being lost in the mono register. I also have a tube tech valve compressor which I put across drums if I need to cook it all a little more. I'm a huge fan of cheap 80s Efektron boxes, they sounds like **** but in a good way. You used to be able to pick them up for £50 a while back but I think people have got wise now.. Everything goes through a Chandler Mini Mixer which I think is worth every penny. I have a trident flexi mix which is mainly being used for pre amping these days, although I may go back to it.. I mixed my Connan Moccasin rework through that and it has that sound, something dusty and dream like, if you push it in the right way..

If I had space I'd bring the DP4 as it was some great effects on there... Also my AKAI S16 (I think its called that) sampler which is really basic but has a magic to it.. Oh, and my Schlumberger EQs as they sound quite API-ish and do some pretty excellent things across the master..
Old 20th March 2016
Special Guest

My pleasure.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search