The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
All American Rejects - When The World Comes Down
Old 19th July 2011
Gear Nut

All American Rejects - When The World Comes Down

Hi Eric,

I've been a fan of the overall sound of this album since I bought it a few years ago. I've been specifically interested in the guitars on this album. Specifically the song "Gives You Hell". Can you offer some insight or details on how that chunky, nasty and heavy guitar sound was achieved?

Thanks!
Old 20th July 2011
Lives for gear

not to take away from the specifics on guitar tones but i also dig the overall sound and would like to hear about anything you can share on that. Including guitars.
Old 20th July 2011
Gear Addict

It's actually a distorted bass running through some funky amp combos thats giving off that "chunky" sound.

He talks about it in this thread here - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5593649-post25.html
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Nut

He mentions a Kay bass was used ... I happen to actually have a Kay SG bass. Picked it up for $20 at a used furniture store about 5 years ago. It was laying in the corner. The strings are original, the pickup sucks and all of the knobs are basically completely non-functional. It's the worst sounding and playing thing I've ever owned in my life ... Makes sense that it would be GREAT for that kind of tone.

Here's a picture of mine.

Looks like I may have to break it out again.
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Addict

Heh - Well that's pretty ironic, eh? The odds that you would actually own one of those is pretty slim.

Look's like your on your well on your way to getting that "sound"
Old 21st July 2011
Gear Addict

Looks like it also requires some of that phantom 120v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loflyinjett View Post
He mentions a Kay bass was used ... I happen to actually have a Kay SG bass. Picked it up for $20 at a used furniture store about 5 years ago. It was laying in the corner. The strings are original, the pickup sucks and all of the knobs are basically completely non-functional. It's the worst sounding and playing thing I've ever owned in my life ... Makes sense that it would be GREAT for that kind of tone.

Here's a picture of mine.

Looks like I may have to break it out again.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search