The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slash/Eric Valentine
Old 13th July 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Worlez's Avatar
 

Slash/Eric Valentine

Just started listening to this album - I think it sounds absolutely brilliant! Love the kick sound!

There is a good interview in SOS with Eric Valentine.

Discuss!

Al
Old 13th July 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worlez View Post
Just started listening to this album - I think it sounds absolutely brilliant! Love the kick sound!

There is a good interview in SOS with Eric Valentine.

Discuss!

Al
Eric Valentine is a member here............
Old 13th July 2010
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

I disagree with most of what he is saying on the SOS interview but the record sounds good, specially the vocals... hey those where mostly recorded by computer...:-) analog my a****

I have great respect for what he does (the T'ride album has the best drum sound of 90's) even if it's a little bit of old mans thinking IMO he is still a great producer.

Other than that I was shocked to hear Fergie from The black eyes peas singing they way she did. I was very impressed with her set of pipes!
Hell she is a true rock singer for sure!

Not a big fan of slash guitar style but he rocks out on this album.
Old 13th July 2010
  #4
Gear Nut
 

I agree. Surprisingly great sounding record (in a dry/tight sort of way). I guess I should rephrase and say that I wasn't expecting to dig a Slash album as much as that one (not talking about production/Eric) with all of the different collaborations. If I recall correctly, the "AE" slot was filled by Brad Cook.... no slouch either. He engineered a pretty popular album (Foo's Colour and Shape) that still is one of my favorite rock records of all time..... great production and mixing on that one too(Norton and Shiflett, I believe).
Old 13th July 2010
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essay View Post
I agree. Surprisingly great sounding record (in a dry/tight sort of way). I guess I should rephrase and say that I wasn't expecting to dig a Slash album as much as that one (not talking about production/Eric) with all of the different collaborations. If I recall correctly, the "AE" slot was filled by Brad Cook.... no slouch either. He engineered a pretty popular album (Foo's Colour and Shape) that still is one of my favorite rock records of all time..... great production and mixing on that one too(Norton and Shiflett, I believe).
Chris Sheldon mixed "colour and the shape" I think you'll find! Probably the best sounding foos record...
Old 13th July 2010
  #6
Gear Nut
 

You are correct.... Shifflet is the guitarist for the last few records. Sorry... momentary lapse. Sheldon is what I meant! Amazing mixes on that record.

Sorry to derail ...
Old 13th July 2010
  #7
Just listened to the Fergie song, not blown away by it, but I LOVE the chorus, the vocals sound fantastic, and the whole chorus is just really big sounding (for lack of a better term heh)
Old 13th July 2010
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essay View Post
You are correct.... Shifflet is the guitarist for the last few records. Sorry... momentary lapse. Sheldon is what I meant! Amazing mixes on that record.

Sorry to derail ...
..and a lovely guy too! very generous with sharing his knowledge, a pleasure to work with, and consistently great mixes (whatever the tools).
Old 20th July 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
mr jkn's Avatar
Slash/Eric Valentine

I read the SOS interview with Eric Valentine and had to listen to the album. The music itself wasnt my cup of tea but the production was stellar imo. The drums, guitars, bass, they all sound so tight.
Old 20th July 2010
  #10
Vocals slightly too quiet on nearly every song, but i guess its a guitarist solo album so thats self explanatory.
Old 21st July 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Nice production.
The drums sound nice although the toms do the thing where they pop out of nowhere when they are played.
The kick and snare are great.
I love that kick sound.
Does this record have the OD' ed cymbal thing going on?
They are not bad. Not as dis-embodied from the kit as QOTSA.

I guess no matter who the producer is we are going to hear Slash and that lead GTR tone.
Sounds like every other metal band I recorded in the late '80s and early '90s.
Grainy, grainy, grainy.
The rhythms sound pretty decent though.
Old 29th November 2010
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Hey everyone,

sorry to bump this slightly-out-of-date topic. But I stumbled upon it while searching for more info on this album.

I'm a 3rd year conservatory student at the Conservatory of Ghent, Belgium. I'm studying music production, and as a final assignment for this year, in order to be able to graduate and get a diploma, we have to reproduce a song by choice.
I chose the song: 'Beautiful Dangerous' by Slash, from this solo album. I really like the song, and especially the drum sound (throughout the whole album).
Now I messaged Mr. Valentine twice to obtain more info on how this album was recorded. But I haven't received any response in over a month.. That kind of disappointed me..
Now is there any one of you who knows more about this song in particular, about the way it was recorded/mixed? What guitars Slash used, what amplifiers, which effects?
I read the SOS article, but it mainly discussed 'By the Sword' from that album. I'd just like to have some more info on 'Beautiful Dangerous'.

I tried searching for any contact info Bradley Cook who was the second engineer, but that was a dead end.

I would deeply appreciate any help on this matter, as it would contribute to my getting a better result in the end.

Note: Recording process starts next week! Wish me luck!

Greetings,

Pieter from Belgium
Old 30th November 2010
  #13
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
Nice production.
I guess no matter who the producer is we are going to hear Slash and that lead GTR tone.
Sounds like every other metal band I recorded in the late '80s and early '90s.
Grainy, grainy, grainy.
Yea, Estranged sounds really grainy....
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump